3D rendering

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
spynaz
Party member

3D rendering

Post by spynaz »

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to draw a 3D object on a 2D screen and I just can't get it. I looked over some LOVE examples but I still can't figure out anything. How do I draw a 3D object using LOVE? Can someone please explain?
iPoisonxL
Party member

Re: 3D rendering

Post by iPoisonxL »

It's not simple. It is, Love2D. Requires lots of maths and stuff. Just thought I'd let you know. If you're really experienced in that kind of stuff, then I'm sorry, I'm no help.

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

iPoisonxL wrote:It's not simple. It is, Love2D. Requires lots of maths and stuff. Just thought I'd let you know. If you're really experienced in that kind of stuff, then I'm sorry, I'm no help.
I know it's not simple, but I still want to do it.
bekey
Party member

[]

Post by bekey »

-snip-
Last edited by bekey on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

you probably wanna use unity3d or sauce engine instead....
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

spynaz wrote:How do I draw a 3D object using LOVE? Can someone please explain?
The difficult part is the perpective projection. That is the transformation that transforms a 3d-point coordinates (x,y,z) to a 2d coordiante (on screen).
If, for a start, you assume the viewer is in the origin (0,0,0) and your screen is in the x-y-plane at z=1 then the transform is:

function transform (wx,wy,wz)
  return wx/wz, wy/wz
end
Once you have the coordinates of points, you can use these to draw triangles or lines.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

micha wrote:
spynaz wrote:How do I draw a 3D object using LOVE? Can someone please explain?
The difficult part is the perpective projection. That is the transformation that transforms a 3d-point coordinates (x,y,z) to a 2d coordiante (on screen).
If, for a start, you assume the viewer is in the origin (0,0,0) and your screen is in the x-y-plane at z=1 then the transform is:

function transform (wx,wy,wz)
  return wx/wz, wy/wz
end
Once you have the coordinates of points, you can use these to draw triangles or lines.
So that's the transform? Ok, but what about quaternions and stuff? I want to be able to rotate and move around too.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

My advice is to start with the simple approach and a fixed camera position. If that works, go on and implement rotation and movement. Unfortunately, I cannot help you any further, as I haven't tried it on my own. But I am pretty sure, you will find some tutorial with google.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

micha wrote:My advice is to start with the simple approach and a fixed camera position. If that works, go on and implement rotation and movement. Unfortunately, I cannot help you any further, as I haven't tried it on my own. But I am pretty sure, you will find some tutorial with google.
I can't find any tutorials. Do you know any good ones?
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

you could also... use a... 3D engine?