Just DL'd and something WAY WRONG with love2d 090?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Grubby
Prole

Just DL'd and something WAY WRONG with love2d 090?

Post by Grubby »

WinXP SP3
------------

For some reason, I'm seeing nothing. And I DO MEAN NOTHING. No window, no error messages, no indication of what the problem might be. Not even the wretched blue screen. Zip. Nadda. Nothing. I'll illustrate:

With L2D 080 I can take an empty main.lua (Just a single commented line), fire off love via SciTe, and end up with a single black colored window that sits there and does nothing. As it should be correct?

But when I change the Scite setup to use L2d 090 instead, I get absolutely nothing. No window at all. No error message. Nothing. However, Scite loses focus and the love.exe process is indeed there.

This can't be right. Any ideas? Can't make it any more plain then this. Whats up here?

Note: Without going into details, I tried converting my current simulation and got the same result. But it does seem love2d is there cause my check for the 'escape' key pressed -> Pushes love quit, seemed to work and I ended up with a few pieces of text printed out that I had in love.load(). Other then that: NOTHING!

EDIT: Before anyone bothers, No conf.lua file. Just an empty directory with an empty main.lua file. Love2d should have dropped back to defaults and created the window right?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Just DL'd and something WAY WRONG with love2d 090?

Post by slime »

Try running it without going through SciTe. If it works, you'll probably have to do the equivalent of this to get it working within SciTe.
Grubby
Prole

Post by Grubby »

Well, the first thing I should point out is that whatever love wiki entry regarding how to use love2d thru Scite is now clearly wrong. It just doesn't work.

"command.go.main.lua="C:\Path\to\love.exe" "$(FileDir)" <--Nope!

I've also noticed under winxp, the following when using the command line:

C:\>E:\Apps\ZCode\Love2d\love.exe "C:\Ztemp\ZLtest\" --> Fails and brings up baby inspector (No Game). I thought that was standard practice for windows.

C:\>E:\Apps\ZCode\Love2d\love.exe C:\Ztemp\ZLtest\

^-- Works as intended. Default black window shows up. Also, --version shows no info. Hasn't since 080?.

So exactly what changed in l2d to break any sort of conventions? I can understand game source getting blasted, but how did the editors we use get blasted as well? At least as far as SciTe goes. Clearly something changed. Nothing in the wiki stated: "We are love 0.9.0. All your editor are us!" :)

Har, Har, looks like ZeroBrain Studio has no problems with calling love2d on the windows side at all. Maybe the wiki should read: "We are SciTe. All your gamemaker are us!"?

Oh well... Clearly some kind of change occurred from 080 to 090?
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

You want to try something stupid?
Try add this to love.load()

Code: Select all

wd,ht = 400,600
love.window.setMode(wd,ht,{borderless = true})
and run it form SciTE via F5.
On my system, without borderless set to true, I can't run them using SciTE - no window opened.
They run fine with borderless = false when dragged-and-dropped onto a Love shortcut and when wrapped into a .love.
Is this what you are seeing?
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

Grubby wrote:Well, the first thing I should point out is that whatever love wiki entry regarding how to use love2d thru Scite is now clearly wrong. It just doesn't work.

"command.go.main.lua="C:\Path\to\love.exe" "$(FileDir)" <--Nope!
Indeed. Try this instead:

command.go.subsystem.main.lua=2
command.go.*.lua="C:\Path\to\love.exe" "$(FileDir)"
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Hexenhammer wrote:

command.go.subsystem.main.lua=2
command.go.*.lua="C:\Path\to\love.exe" "$(FileDir)"
Works for me!
Too bad that SciTE - Love 0.9 issue got spread over so many threads.
Would never have figured this out by myself.
Thanks!!!! :awesome:
Grubby
Prole

Post by Grubby »

Too bad that SciTE - Love 0.9 issue got spread over so many threads.
Could it be that happened cuz something changed in l2d 090 that didn't happen prior? Was a shock and surprise for me that's for sure. In fact, I'm still miffed as to why SciTe/ZBstudio/Gvim seemingly act so different now then prior to l2d 090. Do note, I'm not necessarily blaming the love framework, cuz that seems to be just fine with what I'm working on.

Thanks Hexenhammer, your suggestion works. I'll point out that values 1 and 2 seemingly work to. But what happened to the streaming output I'd almost instantly see in the ScitTe output window? Ah, its still there, it just seems as if its buffered in some way. Notice:

command.go.subsystem.main.lua=1
command.go.main.lua=E:\Apps\ZCode\love2d\love.exe "$(FileDir)" <-- Points to l2d 090
love.conf() is:
t.console = false

And main.lua:

local DT = 0
function love.load()

print("Some Text In Load")
	local a = "Foobar"
	print("More Text In Load "..a)

end

function love.update(dt)
--print("jjjjjj"..dt)
	DT = DT + dt
	if DT >= 0.75 then
		print("Text To Output Pane "..dt.." -> "..DT)
		DT = DT - 0.75
	end
end
Before, with l2d 080 and SciTE, the output text would have shown up immediately. But not so now. Sure, the output shows up, but it takes quite a few seconds before that happens. Not only that, but the text is truncated mid string, another few seconds, and output shows up right where it left off. Some kind of buffering is clearly going on. Now I know I'm daft (said it before), but I can see its just the lua print statements which kinda points to luaJIT? Or is it something else entirely?

So I did spend an hour or so looking around the net, but I haven't found anything even close to what I've described. Does *anyone* have an explanation for this? Will ya help a poor old idiot out? :)