Colorizing black pixels

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
hryx
Party member

Colorizing black pixels

Post by hryx »

I'm balls deep in a graphic tile-based level with several layers à la Photoshop, which I'm porting to 0.9.0. All drawable tile objects contain only black, white, and alpha.

I used to be able to "colorize" the black pixels of the current layer with a slight green using setColorMode. It was kind of awkward and I didn't understand it, but it worked.

I'm having trouble doing this in 0.9.0, now that setColorMode is gone. I thought an additive blend mode would be able to lighten dark pixels, but right now additive is only making the layer's images disappear. Also note that I only want to affect the current layer, not those below or above.

Any advice? I'd rather not use shaders just for this.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Colorizing black pixels

Post by bartbes »

Additive should work, but if you only want it applied to that layer, you might need to do some canvas magic.
hryx
Party member

Re: Colorizing black pixels

Post by hryx »

I could live with that, though it's too bad I'd have to introduce a hardware-dependent feature.

Still, it's curious I can't get additive to do anything right now. Exchanging "multiplicative" with "additive" in the wiki example code works, but not in my own app (which uses spritebatches rather than rectangle primitives).