Error Running Files 0.9.0

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
OwlSniper
Prole

Error Running Files 0.9.0

Post by OwlSniper »

Hello, I'm excited to use Love and Lua but I am fresh to this so bear with me.

I am trying to run .love files using Love 0.9.0 and I'm running into errors right out the gate. "NotAGame.love", "MonocleDemo3.love", "Monocle_demo_final.love" on this forum all produce errors for me immediately. Even "Mari0" causes issues. Any suggestions? Is there a way to download an earlier version of Love so I can see if it's just 0.9.0. In NotAGame, it's an error in States:lua:109... with "GetAxis". Maybe I'm setting things up incorrectly. Thanks.

As a side note, I have run programs from ZeroBraneStudio's Lua IDE and the three Love games that come with that work.

In addition to this, is there any way to view the coding in a .love file? I'm guessing no, but I am just curious.

Thank you.
JovialFeline
Prole

Re: Error Running Files 0.9.0

Post by JovialFeline »

The 0.9.0 update was pretty recent and did some restructuring. I'm pretty sure the error you posted, for instance, is the result of love.joystick.getAxis getting moved to the new Joystick object. An older program will toss an error because it's looking for a function that no longer exists. It's not your fault. ;)

If you wish, you can download 0.8.0 from this bitbucket page.

Most LÖVE games are open-source and you should be able to just open the .love file up as a regular file archive (.zip, .rar, and so on).
OwlSniper
Prole

Re: Error Running Files 0.9.0

Post by OwlSniper »

Awesome! I appreciate this. Everything you said worked just fine. I downloaded 0.8.0 and the files work.

I opened the .love file in 7-zip and it worked as well.

Thank you so much.