LöveJIT + 0.8.0 + windows?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
almar
Prole

LöveJIT + 0.8.0 + windows?

Post by almar »

Hi everybody,

although I never participated in the forums, I have been using Löve for a while (and yes, I haven't finished anything to show... yet).

The thing is, my last prototype is in desperate need of luaJIT + löve 0.8.0 (I need pixel effects and I'm also proccessing a lot of stuff, and its killing my framerate. I'm quite sure that using löveJIT will dramatically improve the thing).

The point is, I have seen in the forums some compiled luaJIT + love 0.8 for testing purposes but only for mac (and linux?). It would be awesome if someone could upload the binaries for the version 0.8 using luaJIT for windows (yes, it's evil, blah blah, but it happens it's what I use. Sorry).

Basically I need to test if pixel effects + luaJIT will make the game playable or not (and believe me: I have tried all the optimizations possible already and the only way to go is using the Unleashed Power of luaJIT).

So... thanks :)
kikito
Inner party member

Re: LöveJIT + 0.8.0 + windows?

Post by kikito »

Is the source code somewhere? Maybe we can give it a look to see where the frames are being killed.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

almar wrote:It would be awesome if someone could upload the binaries for the version 0.8 using luaJIT for windows (yes, it's evil, blah blah, but it happens it's what I use. Sorry).
I'm sure that could be arranged. By someone. Not me.

And I second kikito. Even though you think you can't improve performance, more eyeballs can't hurt.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

almar
Prole

Post by almar »

Wow... thanks slime! It's amazing: it boosted the framerate from 10-20 (in the worst case scenario) to 40-50 (which is far from perfect, but it's more than acceptable!).

About the source: I'm not planning on making it open source until release (sorry :( ). My plans are to release it for a couple bucks (when it's done) and give full open source access to buyers, and after a while make it completely open source for everyone. Does it makes any sense?

Anyways: thanks a lot and I hope to come back here to show something soon.

ps: Löve is so great that sometimes, when I close my eyes one idea comes to me: LÖVE 3D! It would be SO AWESOME to work with 3D in a way so simple like löve for 2D... I can imagine: local mesh = love3d.resources.loadMesh("blah.obj")............ :crazy:
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I have a feeling that your code has a bug or other issue that's causing such low framerates - there is very little that would bring down fps so much as long as you're doing things properly.
almar
Prole

Post by almar »

Well, I think the issues are my ideas for the game more than the code itself ;) The game is running with 20.000+ entities which are making decisions (hello AI!) depending on the state of their closer allies, shooting (hello collision detection!), navigating the map (hello simple pathfinding!) and are shaded using a simplified FOV (hello... you, intensive calculation!). So, I'm not really surprised it came this way. Of course, I will keep on optimizing the code, I think it's time to start using some sort of spatial hash to try improving it, and perhaps the pathfinding algorithm can be simplified, but one thing is sure: this little monster needs to compute a lot of things.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

almar wrote:making decisions (hello AI!) depending on the state of their closer allies, shooting (hello collision detection!), navigating the map (hello simple pathfinding!) and are shaded using a simplified FOV (hello... you, intensive calculation!).
Just to make sure I got it right ... you are not doing all that in all frames for all entities, right?
When I write def I mean function.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

If you are then...[cough] viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7417 [/cough]
almar
Prole

Post by almar »

kikito: no, I'm not doing it in every frame. Entities have two main states: they are "active" or not. Only shooting takes full collision calculation all the time (even if you don't see it, a bullet can kill someone in the other side of the map, so it has to be calculated). Basically, if the entity has to be drawn (culling is in place), everything has to be calculated (except pathfinding, which is only calculated when the path has to be reevaluated -which depends on the movement of the other entities...-). When they are not visible they don't "move" to their destination, they just calculate the point and "jump". Also, they don't think too much. And if they are rendered they are shaded. The point is, it's very common to see a few thousand of them at the same time on screen.

MarekkPie: I saw it but haven't checked it yet. Perhaps using the power of luaJIT and your spatial hash I might be able to increase the number of entities. It would be very funny to see 100.000 baddies shooting each other.