[RESOLVED] Application Was Unable to Start Correctly

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Puzzlem00n
Party member

[RESOLVED] Application Was Unable to Start Correctly

Post by Puzzlem00n »

For whatever reason, my computer suddenly refuses to open anything related to LÖVE with this message, including .love files, compiled builds, or just the plain love.exe. The same thing happens whether I run 0.8.0 or 0.9.0. The best the internet could give me was "update your graphics card drivers," which I did, to no avail. It was working two months ago at the most, probably less. (I hadn't opened any projects in a while.)

This could be entirely my problem, as my computer is loaded with over-the-top security software (I got it from school), in which case you guys would have no idea how to fix this. But you also might not have no idea, in which case I would be grateful. Thanks!

EDIT: I can, however, open the games in the Löveliness Chrome extension. That may or may not be a clue to solving the problem, I have no idea.
Last edited by Puzzlem00n on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
I LÖVE, therefore I am.
Rehnrald
Prole

Re: Application Was Unable to Start Correctly

Post by Rehnrald »

You probably got a virus recently or installed an update to an AntiVirus. I have heard that it is often caused by a program called 'CA Internet Suite'.

Assuming you have Windows, you can provide us with more information by typing in "Event Viewer" into search (In the Start Menu). Go to Windows Logs -> Application tab. Look for errors, in the "Level" column, that say Application Hang, Application Crash, or Application Error. Click it twice to open it, and tell us/screencap what is inside there.
verilog
Citizen

Post by verilog »

Hi Puzzlem00n,
You may want to look at this. Hopefully it will solve your issue.
Puzzlem00n
Party member

Post by Puzzlem00n »

verilog wrote:You may want to look at this. Hopefully it will solve your issue.
Thanks, verilog, but unfortunately I don't think that applies beyond Windows XP. I'm on Windows 7, which I probably should have mentioned, and I don't even have the .dll it talks about.
Rehnrald wrote:Assuming you have Windows, you can provide us with more information by typing in "Event Viewer" into search (In the Start Menu).
Yeah... About that...

I've been trying for hours to figure out how to de-restrict it, but I just can't get around this message.

I ran an anti-virus scan with a couple of different programs, but they didn't seem to find anything.
Last edited by Puzzlem00n on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LÖVE, therefore I am.
Rehnrald
Prole

Post by Rehnrald »

Alright. In the Start Menu, search for "mmc". Open it and click "File -> Add/Remove Snap-ins". In the "Selected Snap-ins" box, remove everything but "Console Root", then try again.
Puzzlem00n
Party member

Post by Puzzlem00n »

Rehnrald wrote:In the "Selected Snap-ins" box, remove everything but "Console Root", then try again.
Uh, it seems like that was already done when I got there...

Like I said, my computer is very, very messed up. Are there any alternatives to the event viewer? Maybe some program I can install that shows event-viewy stuff?
Last edited by Puzzlem00n on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I LÖVE, therefore I am.
Puzzlem00n
Party member

Post by Puzzlem00n »

Okay, I was finally able to get the Event Viewer to work thanks to some dirty hacks I'm trying hard not to be proud of. Hope this helps.

I LÖVE, therefore I am.
Puzzlem00n
Party member

Post by Puzzlem00n »

I don't generally like to bump things... But I'd really like this problem fixed before the weekend. So BUMP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well, I had to figure it out on my own. Turns out it was a virus protection program being a bit too over-protective. (For whatever reason, it decided it doesn't like OpenAL.)
I LÖVE, therefore I am.