No LOVE folder, how to install LOVE on Mac?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
geleiademocoto
Prole

No LOVE folder, how to install LOVE on Mac?

Post by geleiademocoto »

Hello, everyone. I'm using a Mac 10.8.3 and I downloaded LOVE 0.9.1 from the front page of love2d.org. When the zip was transferred, it became a love file, and I simply dragged it into the Applications folder, thinking that was that. It seemed like it worked, I made a hello world type of lua file, dragged it onto the love icon which was now inside the Applications folder, and it did what it was supposed to.

Here's where the problem comes: Looking at the components of love.conf, I noticed t.identity. From what I've gathered, this is used for save files. As in, saving the game stats so that they can be recovered by the player later. Correct? I saw in a tutorial that to find out this identity you had to go the LOVE folder. I couldn't find this.

I looked through the other questions here in the forum, and someone else (here--> http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 2F#p164931) was told that you had to use Cmd+Shift+G to find ~/Library/Application Support. Inside this directory, there should be the elusive LOVE folder. Well, it isn't there.

This leads me to the conclusion that LOVE isn't actually installed. I downloaded the zip again and looked into its content, but I couldn't find anything like a dmg file. There is a love.app inside a MacOS folder, it opens a terminal and I couldn't figure out how to use it or what for.

I'm sure whatever's going on here must be the dumbest mistake in existence, but.. help, please?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: No LOVE folder, how to install LOVE on Mac?

Post by slime »

You've installed LÖVE correctly - there's nothing more to it than putting the application somewhere and running it. The /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/LOVE/ folder won't be created until the first time a LÖVE game tries to write a file to the save directory, so maybe that hasn't happened yet.
geleiademocoto
Prole

Post by geleiademocoto »

I see! Thanks for clearing that up. However, how do I find out what value I should give t.identity (inside love.conf) then? Or do I just give it any string I want and it will accept that?
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

geleiademocoto wrote:However, how do I find out what value I should give t.identity (inside love.conf) then? Or do I just give it any string I want and it will accept that?
It's not something that you must find out. You make it up yourself.
It should be a unique string that identifies your game, e.g. 'geleiademocoto-super-pong-2'