Need Mac/Linux Devs for upcoming PUBLISHED game!

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
CardboardRobotGames
Prole

Need Mac/Linux Devs for upcoming PUBLISHED game!

Post by CardboardRobotGames »

Hey, sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forums, but this seemed like it fit "Support and Development" more than it did "Projects and Demos."

I'm the programmer on an upcoming 2D fighter for PC/Mac/Linux/Vita, and as of right now the game is written in the LOVE! It's extremely appealing for a lot of reasons, but the main one is how easy it will be for users to mod the game.

You can check out footage of an early build here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZFlSr6HqtY

I don't really have much experience with Mac and quite frankly I can't afford to get even a cheaper Mac laptop, so I'm looking for a dev with Mac experience to help me out with porting. So far Mac testers have complained about input lag that doesn't exist at all on the Windows version, so that would be the first thing I'd like to fix. The second problem is that we are using GGPO for our online multiplayer, and while LuaJIT's FFI has been super helpful with getting things up and running with the GGPO DLLs on Windows, I'm not sure what the DLL equivalent is for Mac and how to go about compiling the GGPO source to that equivalent.

In general though, having someone on board with experience working with LOVE on Mac would be extremely helpful as we move forward, and I'd really hate to drop support for the platform because I can't fix Mac specific problems myself.

Someone with a Linux dev background would also be pretty helpful due to my inexperience with Linux, although I can work on this platform myself and from what I understand converting DLL to SO is fairly straightforward.

You can contact us by replying to this thread or via email (cardboardrobotgames@gmail.com).
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Need Mac/Linux Devs for upcoming PUBLISHED game!

Post by Ranguna259 »

I'm a windows guy and I just want to say that the game looks incredibly nice, btw how are your porting your game to vita ?
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
CardboardRobotGames
Prole

Ranguna259 wrote: btw how are your porting your game to vita ?
The Vita port is coming way after the Windows/Mac/Linux builds. There has been some success on porting LOVE to PSM (check it here: http://www.love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=76700), but I'm not sure how reliable it is. The most likely scenario is I'll just port all the code over to the native PSM SDK... but it would be great to get a hold of SiENcE and discuss if his port is reliable enough to port the game so I don't end up rewriting the whole thing!
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

I don't think that you'll be able to port your game using SiENcE vita port, and "port all the code over to the native PSM SDK" is actualy re-writing the whole code in a different language so that's like coding your game twice, your best bet to make your game mobile is to use the iOS and Android ports.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
CardboardRobotGames
Prole

Ranguna259 wrote: your best bet to make your game mobile is to use the iOS and Android ports.
Those are definitely a possibility and I'd like to explore porting to both Android and iOS, but whether or not a Vita version exists isn't really my decision. I'll be exploring all my options for the Vita port when we are closer to PC launch, but yeah I'm aware it's going to be a pain and I'll probably have to write a LOVE to PSM compiler or code the game twice. Thanks for showing me those ports though, they look great! I'll probably try out both sometime soon.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

CardboardRobotGames wrote:I'll probably have to write a LOVE to PSM compiler
If you do that then you'll be making a lot of people very VERY happy.
Anyway, any linux guys out there ? I know that bartbes is on linux so let's hope he sees this post, if he doesn't you can always PM him.

Check out my twitter.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

CardboardRobotGames wrote: Someone with a Linux dev background would also be pretty helpful due to my inexperience with Linux, although I can work on this platform myself and from what I understand converting DLL to SO is fairly straightforward.
I would be really surprised if this was straight forward. You may have a chance if you have the source code of the DLL and it is written in portable C code, but I have my doubts that this is the case. On the other hand, it seems this library was ported to various consoles, so at least Sony and maybe others got access to the source.
CardboardRobotGames
Prole

murks wrote: You may have a chance if you have the source code of the DLL and it is written in portable C code, but I have my doubts that this is the case.
Oops, I should of made it clear that we have the source code and it is written in C with no Windows dependencies. The source comes with the standard GGPO license, actually. However, due to the nature of the GGPO license, I wouldn't be able to share any of the source code with anyone outside of our internal team. I think when it comes to Linux my main concern is distribution, along with detecting/fixing any Linux specific bugs (none detected so far, which is not something I can say for Mac).
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Ok, so that is something you can work with. I'm not sure that any SO will work on any distribution but I'm too inexperienced to pinpoint the potential problems. But as an example, 'World of Goo' shipped with SOs for libvorbis and those did not work on my system for some reason.
I'd be willing to see whether the game works on my system an report problems I encounter. My system is very up-to-date, Arch Linux, 32 Bit. It is likely a sensible idea to test on distributions with very recent software as well as on those that ship with older versions, like Debian Stable. Both are in use but there are literaly years in between, so the differences can be significant.
CardboardRobotGames
Prole

Great! That's very much appreciated. I'll send you a PM.