RakNetLua

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Pabloko
Prole

RakNetLua

Post by Pabloko »

Hello all, this is my fisrt time on this forum, i just discovered love and im planning to use it to make some control panels i need.

As i'm a Lua enthusiast i've made a RakNet library for Lua 5.1.4 (idk if its correct target for love)
RakNet is now open source under a modified BSD license! RakNet is a cross platform, open source, C++ networking engine for game programmers.

I know theres a library called lube that does a similar thing, i will check on that, but as i have years of experience using raknet i prefer this as trusted, safe and lightweight library for my networking. And we better dont talk about luasocket, im so lazy to even mind it...

So this is my alpha release, i want to enhance it by user feedback, another thing is this lib is builded for windows, maybe someone can help me to port this to linux, mac... RakNet is compatible with win, mac, linux, android, ios, xbox, ps3, rpi... feel free to ask me for sources

Im not going to make this more long since i've prepared a cool documentation

DOCUMENTATION

DOWNLOAD DLL

My next step is to create a basic integration and sample of use, but i have fist to learn love so maybe anyone can help me preparing a sample.

Any feedback will be wellcome,

Regards. P
Zilarrezko
Party member

Re: RakNetLua

Post by Zilarrezko »

Just wrote a long reply and somehow thew page went back, so lost all that...

Anyway here's a short version...

WELCOME! we love new Löver's and as such will give much lover to lövers through loving help and loving care so when we made loving cooperation we can learn lovingly and effectively while creating loving worlds (I hope that's will be Löve's motto one day.)

Not sure if we can require dll's I'll try later, but if I can't than this is something that the dev's of Löve will have to look at.

Löve uses Lua-JIT by default, but I think you're fine in regards to compatibility, don't quote me though. (You're going to quote me aren't you?)

LUBE is a library to make something like luasocket more higher level. But if I were to categorize yours just based off of your site (Which looks amazing 10/10 corporate quality) I'd put it as a low level networking toolbelt, like luasocket. Lowlevel as like assembly language to C++.

To be honest, something like this as it seems, will be an easy implementation if I can require the dll's. I would just require it and off I went, something like this wouldn't require any love knowledge as far as I can think of... In fact, I don't even think servers need any love api at all. Could be wrong though, I've only made a local host server before, Then I was happy and never continued it further.

If I was to say anything further, it would be to wait for one of the big wigs to look at this. I am a lowly peasant that is not smart enough to know the interworkings of Löve (what is Löve?) or to develop it.

I'd like to see this get implemented though, looks cool!
Pabloko
Prole

Re: RakNetLua

Post by Pabloko »

Hay @Zillarrezko thanks for your quick and <<lovely>> rply :D

Im going to reply point by point
Not sure if we can require dll's I'll try later, but if I can't than this is something that the dev's of Löve will have to look at.
Sure you can, require can open lua files and dll binary modules (require string should be the dll name and it mus contain an export called luaopen_libname) that is loaded asap. If you encounter any problem loading it, you can add a new path to the lua cpath, so lua can find the dll module (i assume love do this by default)

Code: Select all

package.cpath = "c:/path/to/lib/?.dll;" ..package.cpath
require("RakNetLua")
Löve uses Lua-JIT by default, but I think you're fine in regards to compatibility, don't quote me though. (You're going to quote me aren't you?)
Ye, as far i researched, it seems love runs lua 5.1.4 with that LuaJIT that add some lua 5.2 compatibility layer. should work...
To be honest, something like this as it seems, will be an easy implementation if I can require the dll's. I would just require it and off I went, something like this wouldn't require any love knowledge as far as I can think of... In fact, I don't even think servers need any love api at all
Yes, to be fair, i developed this lib for other lua based rad software, but hey, lua its lua, it can run standalone for the server, and using love for the client (thats i want to do in my control panel, since the server its a raspberry pi).

This is very easy to use and it handle the network & clients, and the best part, its very very fast and powerful, and raknet has proven reliability over internet networks and used in a lot of high end games, while sockets or socket based networks stop being safe outside a lan

Maybe you can suggest me some sample game that i can download and integrate a network (something easy that i can use to learn)

Thankyou