Close the love window upon error?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
parallax7d
Citizen

Close the love window upon error?

Post by parallax7d »

currently if there is an error the love window will display it. Since I already get that error printed out to my shell, it's kind of redundant. Would there be a way to have the love window automatically close as soon as it's done printing the error?
Zilarrezko
Party member

Re: Close the love window upon error?

Post by Zilarrezko »

You're looking for this.

In basics, you can just take out the while loop at the end of the love.errhand function.

Have fun!
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

If you want to hide the error from users and instead display a nice "user friendly" error message, another option is to use pcall around everything you call from the love.load, love.draw, love.update etc. functions. Then you can catch the errors and do with them whatever you want to.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
parallax7d
Citizen

Post by parallax7d »

Perfect, thanks Zilarrezko!

Germanunkol, that's not a bad idea. You could conceivably have a few options for the user, like restart game at last save, send in report, or even have a secret hidden minigame that you can only access when your game crashes! :awesome:
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Exactly.

Haha, I love the idea with the minigame :D
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

parallax7d wrote:hidden minigame that you can only access when your game crashes
Better patent it before someone else does or you'll be unable to do it for the next 20 years.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I'm assuming you're pointing at nobody in particular (*cough* *cough* Namco and loading games *cough* *cough*).
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim