Beyond client support

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
EliterScripts
Citizen

Beyond client support

Post by EliterScripts »

So, lets say I used someone's mod, to use mics, and wanted to connect to a server, on client code, how would I do that? The only way I've been told, is FTP. But, would file transportation protocol really be secure, and LOGICAL? And, if you have a different solution, can you please explain how to use it, along with lua code examples, with both client and server side code. Thanks!
Joe Black
Prole

Re: Beyond client support

Post by Joe Black »

what is mics ?

FTP is to put or get file to or from a server.
It is secure if you use FTPS.

I don't know what kind of connection you want.
If it has to be rapid like in a game you must use UDP protocol ( it sends message and nothing else), a tutorial is available on the wiki.
Otherwise you can use TCP protocol ( it opens a connection, then you can transfer data, and close the connection. to slow for games but very efficient for other use, FTP use TCP protocol.)
EliterScripts
Citizen

Post by EliterScripts »

There is a thingy here (I don't know how to use): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79313
And, I was talking about microphones.
I want to make game updates easy(probably FTP), microphone conferences, and live chat. How would I make a client-to-server connection implementing these 3 things?
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

EliterScripts wrote:There is a thingy here (I don't know how to use): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79313
I want to make game updates easy(probably FTP), microphone conferences, and live chat. How would I make a client-to-server connection implementing these 3 things?
1. updates: HTTP or FTP server with anonymous access. You don't need FTPS or SFTP because you only read the files.
2. Microphone: custom UDP server or pre-existing solution. You will need strong lossy connection to minimize data and time overhead
3. Chat: custom solution (TCP echo server) or just use XMPP, IRC etc.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

EliterScripts wrote:There is a thingy here (I don't know how to use): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79313
You would need to implement your own network protocol, or use existing one. The simplest solution would be sending/receiving raw audio samples over the net using for example enet.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples