Opinions - Methods for proper debugging and/or profiling lua

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Grubby
Prole

Opinions - Methods for proper debugging and/or profiling lua

Post by Grubby »

I guess the title says it all. I'm reaching a point in my simulation coding where my newbiness and screw-ups are starting to become subtle. A mistake in one file might actually show up across multiple files. Best I start considering the ways I can find that mistake ASAP. Mind you, I've looked into and collected some debugging related material. But up to now I've been avoiding having to actually deal with that. So I thought I'd ask a loaded question here.

If you care to answer, what would you say is the best, fastest, and easiest way to debug and/or profile lua code?

Thanks
rok
Prole

Re: Opinions - Methods for proper debugging and/or profiling

Post by rok »

ZeroBrane Studio (http://studio.zerobrane.com/) has a great debugger built in.
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

Yep he beat me to it. Exactly what he said. Zerobrane is just about the best lua ide one can find (and definitely the best open source one). It just works. It even already knows how to work with LOVE so there is no need to configure anything. :awesome:

Features list here: http://studio.zerobrane.com/features

BTW zerobrane is written in lua. How cool is that! :crazy:
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
Grubby
Prole

Post by Grubby »

Huge thanks to those who mentioned Zerobrane as a debugger. Looks like a pretty good editor to boot. First editor yet that helped me out from the get-go. After playing around with the config, I finally loaded in some of my project files. Sure enough, ZB flagged a bunch of index variables as global when they should of been local. So yes, how cool is that! One other thing is I Dl'd some package files and found one that had to do with "TODO:". Creates a visible tasks list panel with strings you can click on and it takes you right to the line in question. I've been using "-- TODO: Blah some blah stuff" as a convention since I started programming with the lua/love2d combo. Now I have a constant reminder to actually DO these things. How freaking cool is THAT!!!

Thanks again people.