[Solved] Shader, but on quad/batch and not whole texture

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
~Tidal
Prole

[Solved] Shader, but on quad/batch and not whole texture

Post by ~Tidal »

Good day.
Since I want to create a custom glow on every character sprite, I thought a shader would do the trick.
After a few tries, I thought nothing was working, only to realize that the shader applies to the whole texture (ex. 64x64 with every tile or character pose or whatever) and not a single quad, or a batch.
No, my question is: is there a way to make it work only on one quad or batch, without applying every time the shader?
Last edited by ~Tidal on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s-ol
Party member

Re: Shader, but on quad/batch and not whole texture

Post by s-ol »

~Tidal wrote:Good day.
Since I want to create a custom glow on every character sprite, I thought a shader would do the trick.
After a few tries, I thought nothing was working, only to realize that the shader applies to the whole texture (ex. 64x64 with every tile or character pose or whatever) and not a single quad, or a batch.
No, my question is: is there a way to make it work only on one quad or batch, without applying every time the shader?
What do you mean? a Shader always applies to everything that is draw as long as it is set. If you only want to apply it t one quad... then do that?

Code: Select all

love.graphics.setShader(myshader)
love.graphics.draw(quad, texture) -- drawn with shader
love.graphics.setShader()

love.graphics.rectangle("fill", 20, 20, 100, 100) -- drawn without shader

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
~Tidal
Prole

Post by ~Tidal »

It is exactly what I want to do.
But I was trying to do a gradient. Simple stuff. But instead of being applied on the current quad/batch drawn, it is applied to the whole picture.
Visual representation.
Edit: I only want to have the lower part of the said quad of a different color than the top part, so I'm working with texture_coords, which don't apply to the quad, but to the original picture.
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Real stupid but have you tried drawing each sprite to a separate canvas and then apply the shader to all the canvases?
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Ref wrote:Real stupid but have you tried drawing each sprite to a separate canvas and then apply the shader to all the canvases?
isn't that the opposite of what he wants to do? :0

OP, please attach your code so we can see what you are actually doing.

print( type(love) )
if false then
end
~Tidal
Prole

Post by ~Tidal »

Ref wrote:Real stupid but have you tried drawing each sprite to a separate canvas and then apply the shader to all the canvases?
aren't canvas supposed to represent static things? IMHO this wouldn't be ok.
anyway, I guess I've solved it.
Since I can't apply the effect on a single quad but it is applied on the whole texture, I tried to think outside the box: instead of using document boundaries, I used each sprite boundaries: via Texel and 1/Width - 1/Height, I got: each pixel value in terms of texture_coord, and each pixel vauel in terms of color and alpha.
Starting from it, it was simple: the shader will be applied to every pixel above the black outline.
For what I was trying to do it is even better. I think in similar situation, a white grid or something could help you a lot.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

~Tidal wrote:
aren't canvas supposed to represent static things? IMHO this wouldn't be ok.
Canvases can be used to optimize drawing of static things / things that don't change very often, but might also be required for regular drawing and compositing. Most forms of post-processing require canvas'; for example in my ludum dare entry I apply a black-and-white filter to most of the graphics; this is done by drawing all of those to a canvas, and then drawing the canvas with the postprocessing shader.

print( type(love) )
if false then
end
~Tidal
Prole

Re: [Solved] Shader, but on quad/batch and not whole texture

Post by ~Tidal »

Umh. Thanks.
I don't know, tho. I stopped used canvases for dynamic stuff when I experienced flickering, I was using mouse position to change some text and pictures and I think it wasn't ok. As far as I experienced, canvases don't work very well when you put some of their logic in love.update.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

~Tidal wrote:As far as I experienced, canvases don't work very well when you put some of their logic in love.update.
They work fine anywhere (on the main love thread), as long as you don't draw a canvas to itself. Sometimes it's easy to accidentally do that if you forget to call love.graphics.setCanvas after you're done drawing to it.
BOT-Brad
Citizen

Post by BOT-Brad »

slime wrote:They work fine anywhere (on the main love thread), as long as you don't draw a canvas to itself. Sometimes it's easy to accidentally do that if you forget to call love.graphics.setCanvas after you're done drawing to it.
Follow me on GitHub! | Send me a friend request on PSN!