Blurred Text

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Ortimh
Citizen

Blurred Text

Post by Ortimh »

Just tried LÖVE 0.10.0 and I have to say, love the new Text object! I updated my current work-in-progress game to the new version and of course, many problems happened. I'm using few libraries offered by community for my game and one of them is LöveFrames. Some of you already know this library. Turning LöveFrames to a new version is a huge mess. Input is the main problem since LÖVE don't use strings for mouse constants anymore. Well I solved all problems (including setStencil, phew), now my problem that I need help with is blurred text. Yup. I know what is the cause of this and why it happens (correct me if I'm wrong). It is because I use default font with size of less than 14 (or 12), the default size used by default font. LÖVE 0.10.0 changelog said "Updated the default font to use less memory", so maybe this that caused blurred text. I thought it was blurred because I used love.graphics.print function, then I tried the new Text object but still, no result. I want to use default font with size of less than the default size of default font. Any help?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Blurred Text

Post by slime »

0.10.0 no longer automatically snaps text positions to pixels (it did in 0.9.2 and earlier), and drawing text at non-integer positions can cause it to be blurry, so flooring the positions e.g. love.graphics.print(text, math.floor(x), math.floor(y)) might fix it for you.
Ortimh
Citizen

Post by Ortimh »

Wrong guess as expected.

Again, thank you, slime, I'll try it as soon as possible.

EDIT: I tried to replace love.graphics.print with mine so it can snaps positions to pixels but LÖVE gave me a stack overflow error. It's painful flooring all my (and libraries) positions calculations, but there's no other way, right?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Ortimh wrote: EDIT: I tried to replace love.graphics.print with mine so it can snaps positions to pixels but LÖVE gave me a stack overflow error. It's painful flooring all my (and libraries) positions calculations, but there's no other way, right?
Then you were calling your overridden function rather than the original ;).
Ortimh
Citizen

Post by Ortimh »

Well, bartbes, you know how stupid I am.

After placed many math.floors among many positions (I wished bartbes replied after I posted my last post so it could be less painful) and tried it.. then of course, slime, you're right, flooring does solve the problem. My assumptions always wrong.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, I discovered this myself when I switched to 0.10.0 a week ago. I quickly learned I needed to floor the coords. (I was using pixel fonts on a canvas so it was like it was deleting certain columns of pixels from my text, but not all my text, in my toolbar tooltips. Easy fix.)