High-Contrast Windows theme affecting LOVE

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
HaftSwimmingly
Prole

High-Contrast Windows theme affecting LOVE

Post by HaftSwimmingly »

Hey forum, I think I may have come across a bit of a problem.

Can you all do me a favor, and anybody who has LOVE and Windows 8 (or 7, Vista) just go to "Personalize" , and enter any High-Contrast mode. Then, simply try to run any LOVE2D program that requires constant updates. Just tell me what happens in this forum.

I bring this up because recently, when I attempted to play a LOVE game in High-Contrast mode, I couldn't actually see the effects of my actions in-game. Instead, I would have to leave the window and come back to it in order to notice any changes.

Of course this isn't a huge deal. Most people probably don't use the High-Contrast settings on Windows anyway, and the solution would be to just switch back to normal. Just thought it was a peculiar happening, and I wanted to know if this was universal problem, rather than just being a problem with my computer only.
tomaki on IRC
Davidobot
Party member

Re: High-Contrast Windows theme affecting LOVE

Post by Davidobot »

I'm not sure what you mean by "constant updates", but all my programs with a lot of moving images and such worked perfectly fine in High-Contrast mode.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
HaftSwimmingly
Prole

Post by HaftSwimmingly »

Davidobot wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "constant updates", but all my programs with a lot of moving images and such worked perfectly fine in High-Contrast mode.
Yeah, it could be just a problem with my computer, but whenever i attempt to play a LOVE game, or even something like that lerp.love file posted here awhile back, it kinda just pauses untill i leave the window. when i come back into the LOVE window, i can see the objects in their altered positions. Kinda weird.
tomaki on IRC
markus
Prole

Post by markus »

Hi, same problem here. I've got Windows 10 and I'm using the Intel HD Graphics 630. The High Contrast setting in Windows will make LOVE not update the Window until I move it. Fullscreen mode seems to be a workaround. I wanted to use High Contrast because then I can choose a Background color for Notepad which is my favorite editor.
markus
Prole

Post by markus »

Found out it's easy to fix, see here https://developer.blender.org/T42545
Their manifest can technically be used as is, then use the mt command like they do to embed it into love.exe and it will work in High Contrast mode.