Application Error; Windows 10, 64-bit only (32-bit works; 32- & 64-bit work on Windows 7)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
kevin.o'mara
Prole

Application Error; Windows 10, 64-bit only (32-bit works; 32- & 64-bit work on Windows 7)

Post by kevin.o'mara »

Hello,

First off, I'm new here and I've been having a blast learning Lua and LÖVE. I just completed a basic "Pong" game (see end of post for links) and now I've run into an issue regarding "Game Distribution".

I've followed the steps outlined on the wiki (https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distribution) for Windows. When I attempt to run my Windows 64-bit version "pong-1.0.0-win64.exe" on Windows 10 I get the following error: Image

I comprehensively searched these forums and the internet for any solutions, but I cannot find anything useful. There was only 1 other post with a similar problem, but the solution was never reached.

The game *does* work in the following situations (on my Windows 10 machine):
1) The folder containing "pong-1.0.0-win64.exe" and the "dll" files is on the Desktop.
2) I drag the "pong-1.0.0-win64.exe" onto "love.exe".
3) Randomly. I'm serious. Sometimes when I unzip the game "pong-1.0.0-win64.zip" and then double-click "pong-1.0.0-win64.exe" it works.

Extra notes:
1) The 32-bit version "pong-1.0.0-win32.exe" always works on my Windows 10 machine.
2) Both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions always work on my Windows 7 machine.

If anyone has any insight or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Later today I'm going to test this on another Windows 10 machine to see if it's just my computer. If you have Windows 10 64-bit I would greatly appreciate if you could test this on your machine.

You can see the whole project on GitHub: https://github.com/kevin-d-omara/Pong, or download the offending file below.
Attachments
pong-1.0.0-win64.zip
(24.33 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Positive07
Party member

Re: Application Error; Windows 10, 64-bit only (32-bit works; 32- & 64-bit work on Windows 7)

Post by Positive07 »

Some questions, did you check that your system is 64bits? 32bits system can't run 64bits binaries, 64bits system can run both 64 and 32bits binaries

Are you trying to run from the zip? Windows Explorer doesn't allow that in most of the cases (mostly when dll's are required). Other programs may support this though, what zipping utilities have you tried?

Sorry I can't recreate since my PC runs 32bits Windows 10
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
kevin.o'mara
Prole

Re: Application Error; Windows 10, 64-bit only (32-bit works; 32- & 64-bit work on Windows 7)

Post by kevin.o'mara »

Positive07 wrote:Some questions, did you check that your system is 64bits? 32bits system can't run 64bits binaries, 64bits system can run both 64 and 32bits binaries
Yes, I have Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Positive07 wrote:Are you trying to run from the zip? Windows Explorer doesn't allow that in most of the cases (mostly when dll's are required). Other programs may support this though, what zipping utilities have you tried?
No, first I unzip and then I try to run the .exe contained within. I've tried 2 zipping utilities, both for zipping and unzipping: 7-Zip (7-Zip > Add to "pong-1.0.0-win64.zip") and default windows (Send To > Compressed (zipped) folder). Note: I use 7-Zip to make a .zip not a .7z. I read elsewhere that .7z doesn't work for LÖVE.
Positive07 wrote:Sorry I can't recreate since my PC runs 32bits Windows 10
That's alright. I appreciate your help anyways. :)

[edit: added smiley :) ]