A question on multiple screens in love 2d

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ZBoyer1000
Prole

A question on multiple screens in love 2d

Post by ZBoyer1000 »

Is it possible to simulate multiple screens at the same time in a single window in love 2d kind of like the concept image below?
Sir_Silver
Party member

Re: A question on multiple screens in love 2d

Post by Sir_Silver »

When you say "simulate" multiple screens, do you mean can you draw what you see on one of your monitors in part of the love 2d window?

The question is a bit vague, can you try to do into further detail?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

It is possible to render your game to a canvas, then draw said canvas multiple times, in the same window. Then again, you will see the exact same thing in all of them.

It's also possible to draw different parts of a game world to multiple canvases.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Plenty of people have made fake windowing systems in Löve. I even dabbled in it.
ZBoyer1000
Prole

Post by ZBoyer1000 »

Sir_Silver wrote:When you say "simulate" multiple screens, do you mean can you draw what you see on one of your monitors in part of the love 2d window?

The question is a bit vague, can you try to do into further detail?
You know the multiple screen thing that happens in mario kart 64 when you are in multiplayer mode?
That's what I'm trying to achieve, but I don't know if it's fully possible to do in love 2d.
I'm thinking about using using stencils to make a sort of "window" and use the coordinate system to simulate multiple cameras, but I'm not sure about it.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Oh yeah, you can absolutely do what you're talking about with love! Basically, you just have to draw 4 or however many camera perspectives you want at certain positions on the screen. How you do that is up to you, but it's entirely possible.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Some camera libraries even have explicit support for that. Check for example viewtopic.php?t=12033 - pay special attention to the picture and the paragraph that follows it.