Support for newer versions of LÖVE

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
panther99
Prole

Support for newer versions of LÖVE

Post by panther99 »

Hello everyone! I'm beginner with LÖVE so I downloaded few games to see how powerful it is but it looks like older games are unable to run on newer versions of engine; are there any plans about this or I missed something important reading documentation because technically this will mean that games I make with current version of engine wouldn't be playable in future without refactoring of source code?

Thanks in advance. LÖVE is great engine :) but this is the only thing that bothers me :o:
davisdude
Party member

Re: Support for newer versions of LÖVE

Post by davisdude »

As long as you have the right version of LOVE running the game, it doesn't really matter. You can download (for instance) the .love for a game made for 0.8.0. As long as you have LOVE 0.8.0 installed and run the .love with the 0.8.0 executable it will run fine.

You can also build the game as an executable, that way it's an executable (and version independent).
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
panther99
Prole

Post by panther99 »

So, if I understand you correctly, I need to have same version of engine that was used to build the game? Is there a way to have multiple version of engine installed in same time (something like version manager)?

Alright, executable is way to go :) Thanks for answer!
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

panther99 wrote:Is there a way to have multiple version of engine installed in same time (something like version manager)?
There's this...

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

panther99 wrote:So, if I understand you correctly, I need to have same version of engine that was used to build the game?
Yes
panther99 wrote:Is there a way to have multiple version of engine installed in same time (something like version manager)?
Aside from what Beelz just linked, you can have a setup where you install each version in its own folder. Then, for each game, you can make a .bat file that you click to run the game, i.e.:

Code: Select all

path\to\love080 love080game.love
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Executable is best.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

It's sort of already been mentioned, but I wanted to stress the point:
This issue is something that end-users usually won't have to worry about, because when you redistribute a game, you usually pack it along with the engine (so users won't have to install anything besides your game, and can have multiple games installed which use different engine versions). At least this is the case on windows and mac.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de