Taking too much time to draw

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pauls313
Citizen

Taking too much time to draw

Post by pauls313 »

My code iterates through a tile table every frame to draw it, but it's taking way too long. It's running at 10FPS.
Attachments
lovegame.love
(688.88 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
raidho36
Party member

Re: Taking too much time to draw

Post by raidho36 »

Well you're rendering 10 000+ objects without using batches or anything of the sort, so pretty much every draw operation translates to at least one GPU render call. And 10k+ draw calls is insane number, GPUs normally deal with few tens at most.

You need to use render batching.
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

Definitely need to batch those sprites (look up spriteBatch love2d).
I'm using 9 spriteBatches and I am drawing 36864 tiles (32*16) in my game at 512 fps on a low end pc. Basically, the difference is, that it's 1 draw call instead of 10000 and that's what makes it faster. However they can be tricky to implement.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I also looked at the code, and apart from not being indented at all, you also redefine love.keywhatever each time love.update is called. That's not how it works, and that's not how you should do it; Define it outside love.update. Or use the isDown function in update.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
bjornbytes
Prole

Post by bjornbytes »

I just made something that might help with this: glance. You basically wrap your draw operations in glance.render() which will save things to a Canvas if they don't change very much -- it's a tradeoff between draw calls and texture memory. If you're able to use a SpriteBatch though, that would be the best way to do things.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

If you're using a tilemap, you shoudl check out STI and try using Tiled to make your maps. This is very much a solved problem.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé