New to Love - from js

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rungo73
Prole

New to Love - from js

Post by rungo73 »

Just a shout to say hi!

I've been making games with Impact JS and packaging with Ejecta JS for the last couple of years, mostly focusing on iOS games.

For my new game I wanted to target desktop and have found ImpactJS a little limited. I've had a look at other js engines, PhaserJS in particular, which I like the look of (reminds me of FLixel, AS3) as there's a large community around it but I to be honest I just want to get away from the browser.

Anyways, be great to get some ideas on essential or useful libraries that can help me get started in Love. Anything that would help me get a platformer up would be great - tile map, collisions, loaders, animations, camera some helper classes etc

Many thanks

Tom.
s-ol
Party member

Re: New to Love - from js

Post by s-ol »

rungo73 wrote:Just a shout to say hi!

I've been making games with Impact JS and packaging with Ejecta JS for the last couple of years, mostly focusing on iOS games.

For my new game I wanted to target desktop and have found ImpactJS a little limited. I've had a look at other js engines, PhaserJS in particular, which I like the look of (reminds me of FLixel, AS3) as there's a large community around it but I to be honest I just want to get away from the browser.

Anyways, be great to get some ideas on essential or useful libraries that can help me get started in Love. Anything that would help me get a platformer up would be great - tile map, collisions, loaders, animations, camera some helper classes etc

Many thanks

Tom.
My 'basic' setup for a platformer would be bump.lua + anim8.lua + STI.
However you can do most things completely on your own, and I suggest you really think closely about every library you pick.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end