Enet and hamachi not working

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Remixful
Prole

Enet and hamachi not working

Post by Remixful »

Clientside

Code: Select all

host = enet.host_create()
server = host:connect("localhost:7302")
Serverside

host = enet.host_create("localhost:7302", 2500)
:cry:
I tried putting my hamachi's IPv4 address in host_create on the server's side as well but it would return nil. I also tried putting my hamachi IPv4 address clientside. My friend tried it out and didn't work. He allowed the program through the firewall as well, but still no success. It works locally for me though.

Please help, thanks in advance! :nyu:
raidho36
Party member

Re: Enet and hamachi not working

Post by raidho36 »

Try using the following on the server side.

host = enet.host_create("*:7302", 2500)
Remixful
Prole

Post by Remixful »

No luck :death: This is quite frustrating. :cry: I've had another friend test it as well.

I'm hoping I don't have to move over to another networking library. :/
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

The ENet library is perfectly good for the job, it must be an error on your side. Not using proper IP, not using proper configuration, etc. Not to mention that Hamachi requires some tinkering to get it working at the most basic level, I think it requires launching the library from within itself or else it does jack? And all it does is emulates LAN over WAN, it's only for games that don't support online multiplayer; since you got direct access to the networking library you might as well implement just that and connect the players over the internet "directly".

You'll have to try reading the manual for all the software involved. Networking isn't easy by any measure.
Remixful
Prole

Post by Remixful »

Well, this is embarrassing. I didn't have the hamachi network driver installed for some reason. I installed it and now everything is working fine, I can also use my hamachi ip for connecting and hosting now! :nyu:

Thanks anyways ^^
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Remixful wrote:Well, this is embarrassing. I didn't have the hamachi network driver installed for some reason. I installed it and now everything is working fine, I can also use my hamachi ip for connecting and hosting now! :nyu:
Thanks anyways ^^
Do note that hamachi does slow things down... can i ask why you aren't just using enet without relying on hamachi?
The only reason i could come up with is that, for whatever reason, you can't forward ports on your router/etc.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Remixful
Prole

Post by Remixful »

zorg wrote:you can't forward ports on your router/etc.
This exactly. No router access - I don't pay for the internet so my parents don't want me hosting stuff - until I can get a server on my own.

Otherwise, I would've just forwarded the port by now.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Remixful wrote:
zorg wrote:you can't forward ports on your router/etc.
This exactly. No router access - I don't pay for the internet so my parents don't want me hosting stuff - until I can get a server on my own.
Otherwise, I would've just forwarded the port by now.
Completely understandable, despite the irony that hamachi will probably mean a lot more traffic than if you just forwarded one port... :3
But yeah, parents, would be hard to explain, what can you do :D
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

If you have enough spare cash, you can rent some VDS, eliminating problems with port forwarding and whatnot. Low powered ones come at affordable price tags. Plus you can host your website on the same server - not a very good idea tho if you don't plan on renting the server persistently.