Android development and its real world apps

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Atic Atac
Prole

Re: Android development and its real world apps

Post by Atic Atac »

Is it necessary to get Android Studio?

So, if it is better to use classics controls like a pad. Altough the best of the options is to let the mouse being directly emulated as no- multitouch
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Just make an app that uses nothing but left mouse clicks for input and you're good.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

You don't need Android Studio at all!! You need the SDK NDK JDK and Ant. All of which you can get on their own (although links are a little bit hidden into "Other Downloads" and stuff)

Left click is the safest, if you want more then using the multitouch API and implementing joystick/buttons would be better. Using keyboard should be a last option, same with joystick, supporting them is not a bad idea since the user may have external ones and that should be fine.
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Atic Atac
Prole

Post by Atic Atac »

Using keyboard should be a last option, same with joystick
You killed me, I need joystick or better pad, like videoconsoles. And the left clic revognition Works totally ok but with the motion capturing along the screen , I suppose? I.e. not stationary
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You can still support joystick and keyboard on android - there are bluetooth gamepads and keyboards. In fact, you should - it's pretty underwhelming when the game has to resort to using on-screen gamepad yet it won't support physical gamepad. Touch input works the same way as mouse input, except touch position would never move unless it's pressed, so you can't hover cursor over things with touch.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I recommend you don't RELY on them being present, although some users may have them not all of them do, so consider first those that don't. But as raidho36 said always give the choice of using them.

I didn't understand what you said about the mouse being stationary. Singe touch API is mapped to [wiki]love.mouse[/wiki] events so if you just need a single finger on screen you can use it as it was a mouse left click, of course there is no hover (mouse movement without actually clicking doesn't work when we are talking about fingers).

There is also a multitouch API called [wiki]love.touch[/wiki] which you'll probably need if you use on screen controls. You can implement an on screen gamepad to get around the limitations of not having joysticks always available
end
Atic Atac
Prole

Post by Atic Atac »

I didn't understand what you said about the mouse being stationary
I was afraid that the left clic recognition was independent of motion capturing, being the latter any kind of those "complicated" libraries or workarounds that you 2 are explaining . At the end of the day, a simple pad will save user (and me) of unnecessary pain

EDIT: only need x. Axis, down, jump and fire
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Yes, but you will most likely need multitouch, since one finger does the movement and the other one fires... Or alternatively gesture recognition, so that a short tap fires and a long one is actually movement... That could work too, say if the finger is not raised in half a second then you don't fire, if it is raised withing half a second of pressing then fire...
end
Atic Atac
Prole

Post by Atic Atac »

Ok and multitouch is included? Or does it come with its own library. And bby the way is there any tuto/manual for all these or simply follow the wiki?
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Did you check the wiki? [wiki]love.touch[/wiki] or the LÖVE Android wiki which may be outdated
end