Lua Script Editor Needed

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
SirDust
Prole

Lua Script Editor Needed

Post by SirDust »

So I downloaded LOVE for the first time and it looks amazing, but I need my own script editor or IDE for it. I am already experienced with Lua, so I know some of the features I would like:

Auto-typing "end" for every new block along with auto-indenting.
Basic syntax error detection.
Running the script in LOVE from within the editor.
Collapsible functions.

I have tried several editors, but I do not know to get all of these features onto any one of them.
Thanks
zorg
Party member

Re: Lua Script Editor Needed

Post by zorg »

sublimetext is this (probably atom as well), except the syntax error detection... maybe zerobrane can do that too, i'm not sure.
Well, if by "running the script in löve from within the editor" you actually mean "calling löve to run the project you're editing in the editor".
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
SirDust
Prole

Post by SirDust »

Sublime is pretty good, but yeah it does not have syntax error detection, nor auto-completion with "end". I installed a plugin called Lua Love, that has something called "live_parser", which I thought would detect syntax errors, but either I set it up wrong or it does not do what I think it does.
And yeah, I do mean "calling löve to run the project you're editing in the editor".
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

it does have block autocompletion though; at least, if i type function and hit enter when the popup comes up (similarly with for, do, while etc...) it will insert a whole block.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I have set up Atom to do many many things, if you are interested here is a Gist of what I do with it, I get error checking while I write thanks to LuaCheck, I can run my game with F7, I get console output in the editor window, and when there is an error it points me to the line where the error ocurred thanks to Build-Lua, and I also get suggestions on LÖVE's API... So yeah look at the Gist.

It may not put an end after you type if then but if you press e that is probably the first suggestion of the autocomplete plugin. Also there are some snippets so you may be able to type "if" and get a complete if statement, I don't usually use this features
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

im using sublime text 3 with plugins like, sublime love and luadev. When you type a function and hit enter, it automatically gives the whole function block, it has syntax checking also, you can also run your project with sublime text's build tool, just hit ctrl+b
ericlong
Prole

Post by ericlong »

I prefer Atom for making LÖVE games cuz somebody has already provided a convenient solution. It's a plugin called love-ide. Check this out if you're interested in it.
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Visual Studio code is very good as well
SirDust
Prole

Post by SirDust »

Atom with love-ide is the closest solution from here I have tried so far, it has everything I want, except for auto-typing "end" for me. I feel like this feature is possible, if anyone knows how to do it then let me know. Thanks
phobos2077
Prole

Post by phobos2077 »

Can anyone suggest an IDE with working debugging? Tried IDEA but it's not working very good with LOVE as an interpreter and Visual Studio with a plugin, but there is no autocompletion for LOVE API that I could find.