Installing Love

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Zeronix
Prole

Installing Love

Post by Zeronix »

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find it, so I'm posting here.

I want to start using LOVE to make games, but I don't know how to download it. Do I need to manually build from source using Xcode? Or is there some installer that will do it for me? The only thing I managed to download was the empty game LOVE.app that opens to a picture of toast with a cute flashing background.

Also, are there any prerequisites beside Lua?

Thanks
zorg
Party member

Re: Installing Love

Post by zorg »

Hi and welcome to the forums!
Zeronix wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 am The only thing I managed to download was the empty game LOVE.app that opens to a picture of toast with a cute flashing background.
Yes, that is indeed the program. Löve is not an IDE, there's no graphical editor or anything like that.

You need to create a folder somewhere, put a main.lua (and optionally a conf.lua) in it, and run them with love using one of various methods that are probably on the wiki. (on android, you need to have a specific folder in a specific place where the app would search for those two files)
Zeronix wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 am Also, are there any prerequisites beside Lua?
If you mean like what you should know, then not really; if you mean downloading things, then you don't even need to have lua separately, LÖVE includes it (in the form of luaJIT).
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Zeronix
Prole

Re: Installing Love

Post by Zeronix »

Oh, great. thanks, it worked!