Smooth portal crossing?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Мэтю
Prole

Smooth portal crossing?

Post by Мэтю »

Hello, I've been a bit out of forums, now I've come back with new ideias. I wanna know if is there a way of a "smooth portal crossing"?

Something like the Mari0, the player doesn't get 'teleported' instantly from a position to another when he touches it. I want it to go smooth from one portal to another
World needs love.
Lucyy
Citizen

Re: Smooth portal crossing?

Post by Lucyy »

Its pretty similar to screen wrapping, you'll have to draw your player twice, once at the portal you're entering and once at the portal you're coming out of.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Mari0 is written in Löve, so for it to have smooth portal crossing, it means that there is a way to do it (in Löve; multiple ways even.)
Lucyy's right, that's the simplest way, though you want to use scissors or some other way to clip part of your player, the parts that are "on the other side" of both portals.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Мэтю
Prole

Post by Мэтю »

Sure, sorry for the very long time to reply. Thank you c:
World needs love.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

You want to make sure that the player can go halfway into the portal before being teleported. That means that more than half of the player's size must have crossed the boundary, and this should apply to both portals. If you want a dynamic view, you'll probably want to use scissors and draw some things twice, one for each portal.
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog