How to properly rotate the camera

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
idkfa
Prole

How to properly rotate the camera

Post by idkfa »

Hello everyone, I'm new to Löve (and game development in general), and I'm having some trouble understanding the camera concept properly. Without having some previous knowledge, making one on my own seemed way too complex, so I've searched the wiki and found this. I still couldn't quite understand how everything works, but eventually I've got around it... except for camera rotation.

The rotation is working, but from the topleft corner. My guess is that I need a lg.translante(...) somewhere.
Any idea on how to solve it? I'm a bit lost right now.

Also, if anyone knows a tutorial/explanation on this subject(should I call it 'screen transformation'?), it'd be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
shmup.love
(66.25 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
This should illustrate the problem.
This should illustrate the problem.
sidebyside.JPG (186.71 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: How to properly rotate the camera

Post by bartbes »

The trick to having rotation (or scale, or shear, etc) applied at a particular pointing is first translating to the point, then doing the operation, then translating back. So in this case love.graphics.translate(x, y), followed by love.graphics.rotate(angle), followed by love.graphics.translate(-x, -y).
Sheepolution
Party member

Re: How to properly rotate the camera

Post by Sheepolution »

Check out the library gamera