AppImageKit

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rmcode
Party member

AppImageKit

Post by rmcode »

Does anybody have any experience with using AppImageKit for distribution?

I'm not sure how to set it up.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: AppImageKit

Post by bartbes »

I have some experience (in the form of https://bitbucket.org/bartbes/love-linux-builder). If you've got portable binaries (I do), then it's mostly straight-forward. I've been meaning to make these scripts more robust and to generalise them so you can build game binaries with them too, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you've got any specific questions, ask away, I'll do my best to answer them.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

bartbes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:16 am I have some experience (in the form of https://bitbucket.org/bartbes/love-linux-builder). If you've got portable binaries (I do), then it's mostly straight-forward. I've been meaning to make these scripts more robust and to generalise them so you can build game binaries with them too, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you've got any specific questions, ask away, I'll do my best to answer them.
No instruction or usage info? I would like to try the tarball script
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

yetneverdone wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 pm No instruction or usage info? I would like to try the tarball script
It's a small, commented script without arguments. There's definitely a lot of work I've yet to do, including documenting it all, but that shouldn't have been terribly hard to figure out... And yes, that means there are no options to customize it yet.
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

bartbes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:16 am If you've got any specific questions, ask away, I'll do my best to answer them.
So the repository you linked is actually meant to be used for distributing LÖVE games to different linux systems? But I'd have to use it on a linux system?

I'm basically just trying to figure out a way to distribute my game to at least a few (bigger) linux distros and stumbled upon AppImageKit, but I have no clue how to set it up or what I'd need to do to make it work.

That's not a specific question though I'm afraid.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

bartbes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:16 pm
yetneverdone wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 pm No instruction or usage info? I would like to try the tarball script
It's a small, commented script without arguments. There's definitely a lot of work I've yet to do, including documenting it all, but that shouldn't have been terribly hard to figure out... And yes, that means there are no options to customize it yet.
Maybe a simple instruction would suffice for beginners.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

rmcode wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 pm So the repository you linked is actually meant to be used for distributing LÖVE games to different linux systems? But I'd have to use it on a linux system?
Well, it's meant to distribute love itself, initially, but that's mostly the same thing.
rmcode wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 pm I'm basically just trying to figure out a way to distribute my game to at least a few (bigger) linux distros and stumbled upon AppImageKit, but I have no clue how to set it up or what I'd need to do to make it work.
It's probably important to note that AppImage is mostly a distribution method. If you've got portable binaries, you can use AppImage to easily distribute them. It won't help you create those portable binaries (as far as I can tell).

Snap and Flatpak do.. kind of. Both "file formats" are much like AppImage, but there's additional tooling to help you build binaries. For snap that's snapcraft, which allows you to declaratively specify build steps, then build it, for flatpak, the tool can generate a build environment for you to build in.

Though I suppose you could technically cross-compile your linux binaries, practically you'll want to build linux binaries using linux. I do have prebuilt binaries available in issue #1168, which you could use.
yetneverdone wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:24 pm Maybe a simple instruction would suffice for beginners.
As the above might hint at, that repo is my solution to issue #1168, and it's very much in its early stages. As you can see, so far I set up some basic scripting to automatically generate the various formats if you've got love installed on your system. If you want to build your own binaries using those scripts at this point, it should mostly just work™, and be fairly self-explanatory. That said, since I've only ever run these on the system I built those binaries on, you should probably be prepared to get your hands dirty.

My goal so far is to build an official tarball and AppImage and get the build scripts for those polished and documented in time for the release of 0.11.0.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Well i just want to know how to use my own .love game with the tarball
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Much like on windows, you can concatenate your .love file with the love binary (the one in usr/bin, not the script). Alternatively you could add --fused and the path to the .love to the script.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

bartbes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:09 pm Much like on windows, you can concatenate your .love file with the love binary (the one in usr/bin, not the script). Alternatively you could add --fused and the path to the .love to the script.
Thanks. How about changing the name instead of love to the actual game name?