[SOLVED] love.system.openURL crashes on Android

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
amightydish
Prole

[SOLVED] love.system.openURL crashes on Android

Post by amightydish »

Hi there,
I'm running this in an android app:

success = love.system.openURL( "http://www.google.com" )

and it crashes instantly.

Is this a know problem?
Could not find anything about it.

I'm providing
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
so the permissions seem fine.

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by amightydish on Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: love.system.openURL crashes on Android

Post by yetneverdone »

Up. This also happens to me.
amightydish
Prole

Post by amightydish »

I dug a bit deeper.
The android implementation of openURL looks good to me:

Code: Select all

public static void openURL (String url) {
  Log.d ("GameActivity", "opening url = " + url);
  Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
  i.setData(Uri.parse(url));
  i.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
  context.startActivity(i);
}
Pretty much in line with the "normal" Android way the internet proposes:

String url = "http://www.example.com";
Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
i.setData(Uri.parse(url));
startActivity(i);
Checking the log output I get this:

art/runtime/java_vm_ext.cc:470]   native: #09 pc 000cc837  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love7android7openURLERKSs+42)
 art/runtime/java_vm_ext.cc:470]   native: #10 pc 0011ce45  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love6system9w_openURLEP9lua_State+40)
 art/runtime/java_vm_ext.cc:470]   native: #11 pc 001d459c  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (???)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #13 pc 000cc837  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love7android7openURLERKSs+42)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #14 pc 0011ce45  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love6system9w_openURLEP9lua_State+40)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #15 pc 001d459c  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (???)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #15 pc 000cc837  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love7android7openURLERKSs+42)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #16 pc 0011ce45  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love6system9w_openURLEP9lua_State+40)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #17 pc 001d459c  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (???)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #02 pc 00243857  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (SDL_SemWait_REAL+10)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #03 pc 00243c4f  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (???)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #04 pc 002433cd  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (SDL_RunThread+32)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #05 pc 0024393b  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (???)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #01 pc 00244079  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (SDL_Delay_REAL+64)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #02 pc 000cff3b  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love5audio6openal5Audio10PoolThread14threadFunctionEv+54)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #03 pc 0011ec13  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love6thread3sdl6Thread13thread_runnerEPv+22)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #04 pc 002433cd  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (SDL_RunThread+32)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #05 pc 0024393b  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (???)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #01 pc 00244079  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (SDL_Delay_REAL+64)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #02 pc 0011fff5  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love5video6theora6Worker14threadFunctionEv+188)
 art/runtime/runtime.cc:404]   native: #03 pc 0011ec13  /data/app/com.amightydish.sandbox-1/lib/arm/liblove.so (_ZN4love6thread3sdl6Thread13thread_runnerEPv+22)
Looks like something in liblove.so:love:android:openURL is tripping it up.

Now this is the code run in /common/android.cpp:

bool openURL(const std::string &url)
{
	JNIEnv *env = (JNIEnv*) SDL_AndroidGetJNIEnv();
	jclass activity = env->FindClass("org/love2d/android/GameActivity");

jmethodID openURL= env->GetStaticMethodID(activity, "openURL", "(Ljava/lang/String;)Z");
	jstring url_jstring = (jstring) env->NewStringUTF(url.c_str());

env->CallStaticVoidMethod(activity, openURL, url_jstring);

env->DeleteLocalRef(url_jstring);
	env->DeleteLocalRef(activity);
	return true;
}
Now I'm not very familiar with the whole library/lua/java setup. But could it be throwing up about my java implementation GameActivity not containing openURL but a parent class it extends? (This is due to admob being wedged in there).
Meaning, does this reference adhere to inheritance rules?

Will play with the code and see what I come up with.
amightydish
Prole

Post by amightydish »

Partially good news.
It works fine in iOS.
Seems like an android specific issue. Closing in on the problem...
amightydish
Prole

Post by amightydish »

So it's what I suspected.
<code>
JNI DETECTED ERROR IN APPLICATION: JNI NewStringUTF called with pending exception java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: no static method "Lorg/love2d/android/GameActivity;.openURL(Ljava/lang/String;)Z"
</code>

The AdMob changes I'm using are not compatible with the love binaries.
Two ways to go about it:
1. recompile the binaries to point to the java class (GameActivityOriginal)
2. adapt the java changes by reshuffling a bit of code

I'm going for #2.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Hi, I'm the creator of the admob extension and I can confirm that this issue is present only in my implementation, I made a quick small fix to the repo now that may or not solve the problem and/or break everything :P. Sadly I can't debug the problem right now, if the quick fix doesn't work, expect it working tomorow when I have more time.

EDIT:
amightydish wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 pm So it's what I suspected.
<code>
JNI DETECTED ERROR IN APPLICATION: JNI NewStringUTF called with pending exception java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: no static method "Lorg/love2d/android/GameActivity;.openURL(Ljava/lang/String;)Z"
</code>

The AdMob changes I'm using are not compatible with the love binaries.
Two ways to go about it:
1. recompile the binaries to point to the java class (GameActivityOriginal)
2. adapt the java changes by reshuffling a bit of code

I'm going for #2.
the changes I made are #1
amightydish
Prole

Post by amightydish »

Hey master both, thanks for looking at this!

I'm not in a crazy rush.
Just tried to shuffle the java around, but it's not straight forward, as I need a static reference to the context (with probably all sorts of implications). So I'm quite happy to wait for a better solution.

Looking at the code, I'd suspect at least one other function not to work as well (had no time to test, though)
android.cpp:vibrate() wants a -> org/love2d/android/GameActivity.vibrate()

I think the original love functions try to find the activity class by name.

jclass activity = env->FindClass("org/love2d/android/GameActivityOriginal");
Bad!

The admob related ones go a different, less hard wired route.

env->GetObjectClass(activity)
Good!

So your new ones seem adaptable, just the original functions would have to be updated to the same mechanism.

Thanks again!
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Ok, after some debugging I finally found the problem... the jni implementation of openURL had a bad return value in it's signature:

jmethodID openURL= env->GetStaticMethodID(clazz, "openURL", "(Ljava/lang/String;)Z");
Should have been:

jmethodID openURL= env->GetStaticMethodID(clazz, "openURL", "(Ljava/lang/String;)V");  <-- (notice the V here)
This have been fixed on my repo.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

master both wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 3:44 am Ok, after some debugging I finally found the problem... the jni implementation of openURL had a bad return value in it's signature:

jmethodID openURL= env->GetStaticMethodID(clazz, "openURL", "(Ljava/lang/String;)Z");
Should have been:

jmethodID openURL= env->GetStaticMethodID(clazz, "openURL", "(Ljava/lang/String;)V");  <-- (notice the V here)
This have been fixed on my repo.
Cool. To update repo,
git pull works right?

Then do i have to rebuild the repo with ndk-build again?

EDIT:
Yes, git pull and ndk-build is a must
amightydish
Prole

Post by amightydish »

I just found the time to test this and it works! Awesome!
Thank you for your quick help!