Creating an isometric platformer

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ThiefOfPringles
Prole

Creating an isometric platformer

Post by ThiefOfPringles »

MY GOAL:
Create a pseudo-3D environment with an isometric perspective and allow jumping onto platforms with different heights. This uses HardonCollider for collision and the platform's collision shouldn't push the player away so long as the player is high enough.
MY PROBLEM:
When ever the player object attempts to jump onto a higher platform from the ground, it gets pushed away.
Attachments
z2.5Diso.love
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Last edited by ThiefOfPringles on Sat May 27, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnACoffeeBreak
Prole

Re: Creating an isometric platformer

Post by OnACoffeeBreak »

I'm getting "Error: main.lua:66: attempt to call global 'max' (a nil value)" whenever I press the space bar.
ThiefOfPringles
Prole

Post by ThiefOfPringles »

OnACoffeeBreak wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:50 am I'm getting "Error: main.lua:66: attempt to call global 'max' (a nil value)" whenever I press the space bar.
should work now, just redownload it
Fezezen
Prole

Post by Fezezen »

Pretty cool, I've been trying to figure out something like this out for a little while.
Ostego160
Prole

Post by Ostego160 »

ThiefOfPringles wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:14 pm MY GOAL:
Create a pseudo-3D environment with an isometric perspective and allow jumping onto platforms with different heights
I like this idea. I've accomplished it before by doing it this way:

Each object has a "z" which is 0 when grounded as well as a "height" (I see you have started on this). Then give each object a zMin which is zero when grounded(initialized). Then on the event collision check the player z against the object height, if it passes make the zMin the objects height, and thus the limit at which it can fall.

If you don't make this check at the time of collision and you apply the dx,dy collision resolution, your character will simply be pushed away by the vector.

I will see if I can dig up some code but I hope this helps.
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

Isometric is just a projection.
Code your entire game in top-down view and then just apply the transformation to the draw.
That's how I made this: https://giant.gfycat.com/AnguishedLazyEquine.webm

That way you're going to deal with the easiest collisions - rectangles.

Of course, if you want jumping you will have to make a pseudo-z, but it's not that hard.