Cutout Animation

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
KingMabus
Prole

Cutout Animation

Post by KingMabus »

How hard would be to use cutout animation instead of the spreadsheet animation in Löve2d? For those wondering about what I mean, check this video: https://youtu.be/lRVnk1PMDTs?t=368
Purring beings are going to rule the world.
zorg
Party member

Re: Cutout Animation

Post by zorg »

Well, depends on what you mean by "spreadsheet" animation; but in any case, it's not too hard to do basic bone-like transforms in conjunction with SpriteBatches, that have all possible "limb parts" in a texture, for example; You also store all the joint positions, and data regarding them.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
KingMabus
Prole

Post by KingMabus »

I was thinking exactly on doing that, but thought someone would have a better way to accomplish the task. It is not going to be hard, really, perhaps only time-consuming—which might bring me back to the common spreadsheet method. Thanks friend, for the answer.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

No worries; still, both approaches will result in their own animation style; still, the cutout way means a bit more freedom at runtime, if you think about it, since you can orient each shape in ways that might not fit into one (or more) texture(s); granted it will consume a bit more processing power, depending on the number of joints, it shouldn't be too hard on the CPU, nor the GPU to deal with it. :3

Edit: (never :P)
Last edited by zorg on Fri May 26, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
KingMabus
Prole

Post by KingMabus »

I had just finished a small simple test of an animated stick (using cutout) and thought of asking about this: performance. The objects I plan to animate are not going to have more than three or four joints. As you’ve just mentioned, and as I believe indeed, if I keep this number small, things are going to run smoothly.
Thanks again.
And of course, now you can turn off this magical prediction tool you’ve be using to answer questions ahead of their time.