Developing directly on the Android system

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
devdev
Prole

Developing directly on the Android system

Post by devdev »

I would like to directly work on the android system, so.. How that has been achieved in the past and/or it could be achieved in the future?
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: Developing directly on the Android system

Post by yetneverdone »

Download the love2d app on android.
Download a code editor.
Make a folder.
Inside that do your main.lua file.
Zip it as .love
Open it with love2d app
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You will also want to buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the development.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

yetneverdone wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:46 pm Download the love2d app on android.
Download a code editor.
Make a folder.
Inside that do your main.lua file.
Zip it as .love
Open it with love2d app
There is no need to zip it as .love simply open the main.lua with löve app.
raidho36 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:49 pm You will also want to buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the development.
Why mouse? Why bluetooth keyboard? Both can become unhandy when using it on the go. Years ago i used USB mouse with my tablet but i have no more need for it today. And for keyboard hackers keyboard is enough.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Mouse will be more precise for selection than touchscreen. As for keyboard - you'll sing different song once you start programming on a touch screen: it reigns the throne of the single worst type of keyboard for a reason.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Also, i might be wrong on this, but i believe that löve on android can only use one specific folder to execute a (non-packed) project from, so that kinda limits you coding multiple projects concurrently, unless you like swapping files in and out of that one folder (or you can zip them up, rename them to .love files and run them like that, as mentioned above)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

zorg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:22 pm Also, i might be wrong on this, but i believe that löve on android can only use one specific folder to execute a (non-packed) project from, so that kinda limits you coding multiple projects concurrently, unless you like swapping files in and out of that one folder (or you can zip them up, rename them to .love files and run them like that, as mentioned above)
You or the description of LÖVE for Android might be wrong:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=de
the description says:
Extract your game anywhere on your device and open its main.lua using a file browser (e.g. X-plore, open main.lua as */*, select LÖVE for Android).
raidho36 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:18 pm Mouse will be more precise for selection than touchscreen. As for keyboard - you'll sing different song once you start programming on a touch screen: it reigns the throne of the single worst type of keyboard for a reason.
Thats true but cursor keys will do the job. On the other hand mouse on android is no good because the second and third mouse will not work as expected.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

MasterLee wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:28 pm
zorg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:22 pm Also, i might be wrong on this, but i believe that löve on android can only use one specific folder to execute a (non-packed) project from, so that kinda limits you coding multiple projects concurrently, unless you like swapping files in and out of that one folder (or you can zip them up, rename them to .love files and run them like that, as mentioned above)
You or the description of LÖVE for Android might be wrong:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=de
the description says:
Extract your game anywhere on your device and open its main.lua using a file browser (e.g. X-plore, open main.lua as */*, select LÖVE for Android).
raidho36 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:18 pm Mouse will be more precise for selection than touchscreen. As for keyboard - you'll sing different song once you start programming on a touch screen: it reigns the throne of the single worst type of keyboard for a reason.
Thats true but cursor keys will do the job. On the other hand mouse on android is no good because the second and third mouse will not work as expected.
That may work, i was only thinking about downloading an "empty" löve from the store or something, and just running that.

Also, what 2nd and 3rd mouse?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

I meant 2nd and 3rd mouse button
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

All the good asset creation tools like Photoshop, Audacity, etc are NOT available for Android so you're not going to get much work done.
And if you just plan to do strictly programming, then you're still going to need a few windows open so you can review the documentation, tutorials, etc - in the best case it would be very clunky/slow without a good computer.
You may be able to edit some simple configuration files on your Android but you need a computer for any kind of serious development.