Suggestions for P2P network testing environment

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
erasio
Party member

Suggestions for P2P network testing environment

Post by erasio »

Hey!

I was starting to work on a piece of networking and started to run into an issue.

My goal is to have a truly P2P game. Where both clients execute all events and differences (desynchronisation) will result in breaking the game leading to a disconnect / game over.

This allows for a large extent of modding (I can expose pretty much everything but the file system of the user for security and have people load additional modules as desired with fully automatic cheat prevention due to desynchronisation of clients (you can only modify your own)).

Now most of the elements are straightforward implementation wise.

But how do I effectively set up a testing environment on one machine? The host needs to be bound to a port. When trying to pick the next port I have some really strange behavior of additional connections opening over time (enet with pretty much the tutorial code).

Has anyone experience with this or a suggestion? A tool to create virtual networks I can easily put my clients into? Any advice is welcome!