assigning table.remove to a variable then using it to print a number

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
mustafatouny
Prole

assigning table.remove to a variable then using it to print a number

Post by mustafatouny »

The purpose of code is to randomly place flowers, The full tutorial is here

Code: Select all

grid = {}
for y = 1, 14 do
 grid[y] = {}
 for x = 1, 19 do
  grid[y][x] = {flower = false}
 end
end

local possibleFlowerPositions = {}
for y = 1, 14 do
 for x = 1, 19 do
  table.insert(possibleFlowerPositions, {x = x, y = y})
 end
end

for flowerIndex = 1, 40 do
 local position = table.remove(possibleFlowerPositions, love.math.random(#possibleFlowerPositions))
 grid[position.y][position.x].flower = true
end
First, In the last line, Both of "position.y" and "position.x" must be numbers in order to indicate a cell in grid table (or array, doesn't know precisely), But I don't get how did it come by that way.

Second, I've searched in "Programming in Lua, Forth Edition" book and did some google but had never seen something like this before, so, If you were at my position what would you do to deal with this problem otherwise asking someone directly?
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: assigning table.remove to a variable then using it to print a number

Post by bartbes »

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I think you're asking why that code works?

So first of all, you've got a loop filling possibleFlowerPositions with.. well, possible flower positions. So possibleFlowerPositions is a table containing other tables, and those tables have an x and a y member containing a number each.

Then, if you look at table.remove in the manual, you can see that it removes an element from the table at the specific index and returns the removed value. Since you pass in a random index, this means you'll pick a random possible flower position, remove it from the table possibleFlowerPositions (so you won't pick it again), and then the removed element gets stored in the position variable.
zorg
Party member

Re: assigning table.remove to a variable then using it to print a number

Post by zorg »

Also, the following code

for y = 1, 14 do
 for x = 1, 19 do
  table.insert(possibleFlowerPositions, {x = x, y = y})
 end
end
is equivalent to this:

for y = 1, 14 do
 for x = 1, 19 do
  possibleFlowerPositions[#possibleFlowerPositions+1] = {['x'] = x, ['y'] = y}
 end
end
If that part was also unclear, since you had things like x=x and y=y in there, the characters on the left side of the = symbol were syntax sugar-ed string keys, as you can see from the second code block.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.