Transparent window with borderless window

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
zorg
Party member

Re: Transparent window with borderless window

Post by zorg »

raidho36 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 pm No and you really shouldn't even if you could.
You're not stopping me from wanting to make a desktop assistant with löve eventually. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You shouldn't because it means the window will not be fullscreen and if it's a video game then that will detract from experience. Plus, it's a long standing convention that windows and any viewports in general are square, making it different shape would be jarring to people and will add nothing of value, it's only a gimmick that people can do without.
0x25a0
Prole

Post by 0x25a0 »

raidho36 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am You shouldn't because it means the window will not be fullscreen and if it's a video game then that will detract from experience.
Games come in all shapes and sizes :) not all games need to be playable in fullscreen.
Plus, it's a long standing convention that windows and any viewports in general are square, making it different shape would be jarring to people and will add nothing of value, it's only a gimmick that people can do without.
Have you seen Daniel Linssen's Windowframe? (Here's a video in case you don't use Windows). While that game doesn't alter the window's transparency, it does move and resize the window constantly, which would be terribly confusing and irritating in any application that isn't a game. But as a gameplay element I find it brilliant and refreshing.

If someone wants to make parts of their game's window transparent, then that doesn't sound like a bad idea for me; it sounds like someone's trying to think outside the box, and that can result in really cool games :)
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

The same could have been accomplished without messing with the window itself. It's a gimmick.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

Something like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_extension
So you could make Christmas Tree in Löve.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

raidho36 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am The same could have been accomplished without messing with the window itself. It's a gimmick.
The fact that it's a gimmick isn't a valid excuse for not trying to do such things. Who're you to say i can't have a "Clippy"-like desktop assistant (made with anything, not strictly with löve) that doesn't have rectangular window borders? :3 (besides, it'd still have a rectangular area, just that some inner-parts would be masked out to show what's "below" the window, i.e. being transparent.
raidho36 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am You shouldn't because it means the window will not be fullscreen and if it's a video game then that will detract from experience. Plus, it's a long standing convention that windows and any viewports in general are square, making it different shape would be jarring to people and will add nothing of value, it's only a gimmick that people can do without.
There's at least one video game where having it fullscreen actually detracts from the experience (OneShot), besides, multi-screen setups may suffer if you mean exclusive fullscreen, and if not, people still should have the ability to go windowed if they want to.

Also, conventions are broken always, especially if you want to talk about windows and M$; i still haven't fully digested either the "Ribbon" interface, which is designed to hide all the functionality a fucking menu system could show, nor the AOL-Kids inspired tile system that's laughable on a desktop environment... (at least the latter was optional)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

True, but, sometimes you can just tell if it's not a good idea. Like it's not a good idea to wear pants on your head, that's just not what pants are for and there are better headwear articles anyway. You can argue that things like that have novelty value, but you can't base things around novelty value alone: things get old eventually and gimmicky things tend to get old quicker than usual, and once the novelty wears off there wouldn't be any other good features. That's not to mention, there are usually many things wrong with those gimmicks and they only hold up at all because novelty but otherwise are terrible all around. Such things are doomed for very limited appreciation from the beginning. Case in point: VirtualBoy, wagglan motion controls, QTEs, in-game unskippable cutscenes, blur and lens effects, etc.- you can think of many yourself.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

The combination of movement with analog controls and aiming with a lightgun sort of setup might be gimmicky, but it's a very fun gimmick. That very combination brought us Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii), one of my favorite games of all time. More of that, pretty please? :3

In the case of this feature I'd probably do some fancy little custom non-square splash screen while the game is starting. However, the only bad idea there would (likely) be the effort involved in making it work in LÖVE, not so much that you wouldn't be able to do some fun little distractions with it.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

WiiMotes are more like positional guns than real light guns.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Gimmicks can be bad or good, it depends on many things.