Does anyone use/recommend a standard 2D map editor (not tiled)?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DarkShroom
Citizen

Does anyone use/recommend a standard 2D map editor (not tiled)?

Post by DarkShroom »

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone uses a 2D map editor that is not tile based. I sure want to snap to tiles, but to be able to draw any shapes and sizes etc, and output them in some sort of standard json format?

I imagine, it's complicated as there could likely be no standard json format for this, however i would have thought something like dump out all the coordinates to the shapes (relative to coordinates of object), program custom data that dumps out from the object, have a "rotation" property.

Is there anything like this someone is using and is good, or do you really have to build your own one?

Thanks forum

edit: tiled is restricted to a tile based paradigm, this especially makes i very hard for me to draw some floor i can slide across as i'm using the physics engine, it should be a long smooth surface... i've even contemplated some sort of squares large poly conversion or something, but it'd be easier with a better (or more appropriate) editor
Chroteus
Citizen

Re: Does anyone use/recommend a standard 2D map editor (not tiled)?

Post by Chroteus »

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but honestly, program your own level editor.
It's not as painful as it sounds, and will ensure that the editor encompasses all the specifics of your game.
As another advantage, it will allow for user-made levels!
DarkShroom
Citizen

Post by DarkShroom »

Well thanks for the reply, but i'd rather a standard one like Tiled

this DOES allow for user designed levels, and also everyone would have a standard interface... i understand how to go about this but it just seems absurd that there's not a standard one (perhaps it's just that it's easy to have a default approach with tiled, it's hard to disagree with the format)

part of my logic is I have started separating assets, i like the idea i can design a level separate from the game itself. I enjoy Love2D but still contemplate porting my game back to Unity3D, javascript or something else (betrayal f-sure).

Anyway, if no-one knows of one I am tempted to just code it like you say. Perhaps I will use Love 2D because I am here at the moment, but i thought it would be more logical to use Java, the format is more the design of this program, not the actual code.

How about using standard vector format?
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Just chiming in that I coded a level editor for my game (though I've fixed it a bit since that post), but the difference in my design goal was that I wanted to do as much as possible within the game or its codebase (with the exception of creating and sound). Additionally I wanted to learn how to make usable stuff with a GUI, so it was also an exercise at improving myself.

The problem with creating a common standard for a level editor across multiple games is that just about every game will handle things differently or have different requirements. Thus you either need to have way too general format to allow flexibility on the code side of developers' games, or they will just roll out their own tools. The former is not a real deal breaker (Shovel Knight used Tiled as a popular example), but latter will allow the developers to change things based on their own whims or effiency requirements more easily (though Tiled IS open source). Lastly, a built-in level editor tool might prove to be popular with end users if they ever get their hands on it. Just look at the long legacy of Warcraft III custom maps.
JoshGrams
Prole

Post by JoshGrams »

Have you looked at Overlap2D? I've never gotten around to actually trying it, but it looks interesting...