How to make a doom-like engine/game?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DarkShroom
Citizen

Re: How to make a doom-like engine/game?

Post by DarkShroom »

is it not the case, that this might be FUN but it won't be able to use the 3D acceleration (so it will be very inefficient)

surely you might be best of with GZDoom? Sorry my post is not productive. I found an excellent tutorial on youtube once and tried to find it for you, it was great to watch and very revealing, however i was not tempted to code one myself :)
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

DarkShroom wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:22 pm is it not the case, that this might be FUN but it won't be able to use the 3D acceleration (so it will be very inefficient)
Compared to old software renderers, Löve uses OpenGL, so yes, doing a 2.5D game is more efficient if you are comparing it that way. (For example, you're not drawing anything pixel-by-pixel using the CPU, you're drawing graphics primitives with love.graphics functions, that's still faster)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
4aiman
Party member

Post by 4aiman »

I'll just leave this here. Go find the differences, oh Brave Warrior of the SourceCode ^_^
DarkShroom
Citizen

Post by DarkShroom »

haha lol, well done

i guess i just couldn't personally be assed to write a raycasting engine. i watched a good video of someone doing it in c++, that was enough for me, interesting how the occlusion is worked out and the way things distort so you have to cut things at the edges of the screen