BUMP collision help

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Joelrodiel
Prole

BUMP collision help

Post by Joelrodiel »

I recently started using BUMP as my collision library after giving up on trying to make collisions myself. So far everything is smooth until I wanted to change the type of collision. I cannot understand how to change the collision of certain objects when it collides with other certain objects. EX: Player collides with wall, but passes coin. How can I do this? I know there's a way, and Vive tried it, its like a weird local function:

Code: Select all

local playerFilter = function(item, other)
  if     other.isCoin   then return 'cross'
  elseif other.isWall   then return 'slide'
  elseif other.isExit   then return 'touch'
  elseif other.isSpring then return 'bounce'
  end
  -- else return nil
end
But I have not been able to use it on any of my code, it just wont work. I wrote some program that uses BUMP and IM trying to implement it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
demo.love
(8.51 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Azhukar
Party member

Re: BUMP collision help

Post by Azhukar »

There's a detailed explanation on how to do this exact thing on the projects github page https://github.com/kikito/bump.lua#movi ... resolution

It's a function you pass to world:move, the function arguments are the 2 colliding entities. In the example filter you posted, you would move your player by calling

world:move(playerTable, goalX, goalY, playerFilter)
In the example filter function, argument 'other' would become what player collides with. Your tables for the objects would then need to be similar to the following:

mycoin = {isCoin = true}
mywall = {isWall = true}
myexitarea = {isExit = true}
myspring = {isSpring = true}