30log is not polymorphic?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Marty
Citizen

30log is not polymorphic?

Post by Marty »

Hiho lövely fellows,

it seems that 30log does not follow all definitions of OOP, thus not fulfilling my desire. Maybe I lack to know how this is done right in 30log, so I want to ask for advice.

Polymorphic code allows child classes to effectively override functions of the parent classes. The object itself ends up with different/new implementations of the base functions. If the parent class code executes a function that is overridden in the child class, it will jump into the child implementation, since the base implementation is not existent on the object, anymore.

Here is a brief example how it should work, written in C# (because its OOP and its syntax is easy):

Code: Select all

using System;

class A {
	public A() {
		Console.WriteLine(test());
	}
	protected virtual string test() {
		return "A";
	}
}
class B : A {
	public B() : base() {
	}
	protected override string test() {
		return "B";
	}
}
public class Program
{	
	public static void Main()
	{
		new A(); // prints "A"
		new B(); // prints "B"
	}
}
.NET Fiddle to test the code: https://dotnetfiddle.net/F6vpbM

Here is a similar implementation of the above code using lua and 30log:

local class = require "30log"

local A = class("A")
function A:init()
  print(self.test())
end
function A:test()
  return "A"
end

local B = A:extend()
function B:init()
  B.super:init()
end
function B:test()
  return "B"
end

A() -- prints "A"
B() -- should print "B", but prints "A"
Repl.it to test the code: https://repl.it/repls/GivingFuchsiaDamselfly (it includes 30log, scroll down for the code)

The problem is very obvious. The constructor of B calls the constructor of A. The constructor of A prints the returned value of the test function. Since the test function is overridden in B, it should use the test function of B, even when called by A, since the object is B that inherits from A, not A. 30log, however, does not do this. It uses only the implementation on the class that it was called from.

Since lua has no real OOP and just works with tables, I see the problem. the super table of B has the test implementation of A. Imo, it should somehow know that the test function was overridden in B and call this instead, or do I do something wrong here?
Visual Studio Code TemplateRichLÖVE Mobile (AdMob+UnityAds+PlayGamesServices+GameCenter)Add me on Discord

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
Marty
Citizen

Re: 30log is not polymorphic?

Post by Marty »

For anybody facing the same issue, I got help on Discord by alloyed.

The problem is how I call the base constructor. Instead of

B.super:init()
I've to use

B.super.init(self)
otherwise I give super to the base and super does not include my overridden implementations.
Visual Studio Code TemplateRichLÖVE Mobile (AdMob+UnityAds+PlayGamesServices+GameCenter)Add me on Discord

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

modiX wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 pm I've to use

B.super.init(self)
otherwise I give super to the base and super does not include my overridden implementations.
Note that self isn't magic in that context; you'd need to do

B.super.init(B)
(which is what you wanted) at the call site, since self as an implicit thing can only exist in a function definition if it's done with the colon syntax. In short, B wasn't named self, so it wouldn't have worked that way.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

zorg wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:20 pm Note that self isn't magic in that context; you'd need to do

B.super.init(B)
(which is what you wanted) at the call site, since self as an implicit thing can only exist in a function definition if it's done with the colon syntax. In short, B wasn't named self, so it wouldn't have worked that way.
What? I'm confused. When I call B() anywhere outside self is B, it's not? I think I still lack understanding how 30log really works under the hood, can you clarify even more?

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

local class = require "30log"

local A = class("A")
function A:init()
  print(self.test())
end
function A:test()
  return "A"
end

local B = A:extend()
function B:init()
  B.super.init(B) -- <- talking about this;
end
function B:test()
  return "B"
end

A() -- prints "A"
B() -- should print "B", but prints "A"
although now i realize that self does work here, but again, it's way more clearer to write it out completely in my opinion.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I don't know the internals of 30log, but in middleclass you have to pass self to superclass constructors, not the class. I remember giving this a great deal of thought back in the day, and there was no other way. self is indeed "magical" inside constructors.

I would be very surprised if 30log worked in a different way, as zorg is suggesting. I think you must pass self.
When I write def I mean function.
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

So in my test passing B didn't work, but passing self did. I agree with you, kikito.

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█