MULTIPLAYER ONLINE GAME - how to do?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
vinepires
Prole

MULTIPLAYER ONLINE GAME - how to do?

Post by vinepires »

How to create SERVER/CLIENT with love2d, pleaseeeeeeeee I am trying 1 week left :( :cry:
zorg
Party member

Re: MULTIPLAYER ONLINE GAME - how to do?

Post by zorg »

Hi and welcome to the forums!

https://love2d.org/wiki/lua-enet has code for a simple server+client project, although you need to modify the infinite loops since löve already has love.update you should use.

Alternatively

https://love2d.org/wiki/socket and https://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Networking_with_UDP may also work.

I must say, one week to finish such a thing is kind of a brave thing to do! :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I must say, one week to finish such a thing is kind of a brave thing to do! :3
A polite way of saying "not going to happen". :)

Technically it's possible, but concurrency for real-time multiplayer games is a hard problem.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

I was able to create a multiplayer game in love within 1 week using https://github.com/camchenry/sock.lua.
vinepires
Prole

Post by vinepires »

I got make connection and send/receive data, server -> client and client -> server... but

How is the system about interaction of maps, player, players, criatures, objects, itens, etc... ??

(I will make a mmorpg game)

Can explain about that, please?!

here is my code (server: lua, client:love )

Code: Select all

-- Server

local socket = require("socket")

udp = socket.udp()
udp:setsockname("*", 53474)
udp:settimeout(1)

while true do
    data, ip, port = udp:receivefrom()

if data then

print(os.date().." - RECEIVED: ".. data, ip, port)

udp:sendto('I AM SERVER', ip, port)
    end
    socket.sleep(0.01)
end

-- Client

local socket = require("socket")

udp = socket.udp()
udp:setpeername("127.0.0.1", 53474)
udp:settimeout(1)

udp:send("I AM CLIENT!")
data = udp:receive()

function love.load()

end

function love.draw()
  if data then
    love.graphics.print("RECEIVED: ".. data)
  end
end
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

>MMORPG
>Without game programming knowledge
It's getting better and betterm, though i do admire your brazenness.

Okay, so basically you send whatever you want to send, and then process whatever you want to process. It's that simple.
It's all up to you how you code your game.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
vinepires
Prole

Post by vinepires »

CLIENT SEND ' asks for tilemap coordinates'
SERVER RECEIVE WHEN ASKS AND SEND coordinates
CLIENT DRAW tile map with coordinates

CLIENT SEND ' asks for objects in tilemap coordinates'
SERVER RECEIVE WHEN ASKS AND SEND objects attr.., coordinates, etc..
CLIENT DRAW objects with attr.., coordinates, etc.. RECEIVED

same to players online...

PLAYER SEND 'moveUP' to server
SERVER RECEIVE, validate (colisions/events) and SEND awser
CLIENT executate

so it works?
erasio
Party member

Post by erasio »

The topic of highly scalable networking systems is a huge one.

We will not be able to explain it here. There are lots of options and possibilities for how to setup your game and networking. And they all depend on you knowing what you will be creating and knowing the options themselves.

We can without any issue explain and discuss specific techniques or issues. Like when to use reliable replication or how to prevent user input from showing up so late (in a networked game if you request coordinates from the server there will always be a delay of ping * 2)

But for a general "how to make mmo networking"... well. That requires enough knowledge to fill up a semester or so.

Certainly beyond the scope of a support forum.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I can give some further pointers though, but it may be in vain in terms of your deadline;

From my experience with Lineage II (private servers, before the game went free2play i mean), i can state a few things:

- Have your server be authoritative, that is to say, you only ever send user interaction data to the server from the clients, and that would validate your new positions, effects of actions you did, et cetera; that said, you do need to mimic these actions/effects locally as well, so that the aforementioned ping*2 delay time won't happen to you; it's here where things like keeping a "buffer of past states" get important, that you need to check against, and modify the local attributes of the world/characters if something's off from what the server says.

- You should chunk your world, if necessary; Big worlds take a long time to load, take up large amounts of space in RAM (both on the server and on the clients), so you should limit processing to areas where users are currently in, unless you need to keep updating things everywhere for sake of realism or similar. (and even then, it doesn't hurt to not have just one gigantic file/table loaded in)

- For very big games, using some kind of database system (like a flavour of SQL) might come in handy, although this step is really REALLY at the end of the "tried to optimize everything" path.

- By default, both server and client should have the whole dataset available to it (or at least the initial ones on release, i'm not counting downloadable new content); maps, items, monsters, everything.

- Chances are, you will need to use other threads for processing network events (and possibly local ones too), otherwise your game will block too much for it to be playable.

- How you code the events is completely up to you; your example above seems workable, although the client should have already locally executed the "moveUP" event, so you wouldn't need to wait for the server's response, since usually it'd agree with such a move; as i said before, you'd need to keep track of previously sent events, and only remove those from a buffer, when the server acknowledged or rejected those; in the latter case, rewinding the local state back to the last event the server accepted.

In short, it's complicated.
vinepires
Prole

Post by vinepires »

Thanks ^^

I'am trying