Is Tlfres defunct?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
randy0428
Citizen

Is Tlfres defunct?

Post by randy0428 »

Is Tlfres defunct?

I tried using it based on https://love2d.org/wiki/TLfres and it didn’t work in my project. It just gave me a black window.

So I tried a test of the code on the above referenced page.

I made a directory called scaler.
Inside this directory I created 3 blank files, conf.luamain.lua and tlfres.lua.
In conf.lua I specified the size as 800x600 and made it resizable.
I copied the code from the tlfres.lua section of the page to the tlfres.lua file in my directory.
I copied the code from the example section of the page to the main.lua file in my directory.
When I ran the project, I got
Error: main.lua:12: attempt to index global 'tlfres' (a nil value)
. I looked and the tl in tlfres needs to be TL (capitalized), so I corrected that. I also found two other places where the tl needed to be capitalized, so I corrected those and ran the program again.
When I ran the program, I just got a plain black screen.
In the love.draw() function, I commented out the 3 lines which called functions from the tlfres.lua file and it printed a screen with the dot in the center (400x300). But as I resized the window, the dot didn’t stay in the center, it stayed at 400x300, which is the center when the window is 800x600, but not when the window is a different size.

So, what’s the deal with TLfres? Is there another way to handle the scaling for a resizable game? I’ve seen simpleScale by tomlum on github. If I can’t use TLfres is simpleScale a viable option?
MMR4tzvp
Prole

Re: Is Tlfres defunct?

Post by MMR4tzvp »

Sorry, I don't know anything about TLfres or simpleScale, but push by Ulydev seems pretty good. There is a forum topic about it too.
randy0428
Citizen

Post by randy0428 »

Thanks, MMR4tzvp.
I took a quick look at the push page on github and it looks good. I'll look at using it sometime in the future, but I'm occupied with some other things right now.
Thanks again.
Xx_GenericGameDev_xX
Prole

Post by Xx_GenericGameDev_xX »

For me it works as expected, maybe they released a fix. The black screen could be a result of the endRendering() function, which draws black letterboxes by default. I had to call it with a table ( tlfres.endRendering({255,255,255,255} ) to get graphics.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Considering it's from before 2017, TLfres should be considered defunct.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

This is another scaling library:
https://github.com/Vovkiv/resolution_solution
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

dusoft wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:54 pm This is another scaling library:
https://github.com/Vovkiv/resolution_solution
Ah...
I feel myself kinda flattered, when someone recommends my library to someone, lol.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Resolution Solution is very much 'active' and easy to use. It's been a constant library in all my projects for sometime now.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

The lib Resolution Solution is nice and simple to use, it can be one of the best libs for this needs.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies