What collaborative development/editing options are available?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
EnderShot
Prole

What collaborative development/editing options are available?

Post by EnderShot »

So a small team of people, including myself, are making a game. I would like to use LOVE for this project, but I can't seem to find a decent method of collaborating. We would preferably like to work together on the code at the same time. We've tried the Atom Editor with Teletype, but that didn't work out, as the only person who could run/debug the game was whoever was hosting. We we're wondering what other editors/systems/options, if any, were available to allow for collaborative editing with relative ease.
erasio
Party member

Re: What collaborative development/editing options are available?

Post by erasio »

The default is pretty much version control.

As long as you don't edit the exact same lines of code, it will just combine any modifications into a new "current" version.

If there are conflicts you get the option to review them and select the version you want to keep. Still needs a bit of coordination but as long as you split responsibility and push (upload) your changes often, there's not a lot of issues you'll run into.

Obviously that's no google docs style of simultaneous work. But works well enough for pretty much the entire industry of software development.

The currently most popular version control is git and as long as you host the code publicly you can use github for free. Otherwise you can install it on your own server or pay some service for hosting.