Quads slow things down so much..

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
grump
Party member

Re: Quads slow things down so much..

Post by grump »

hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am
grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 am While not necessarily the cause of unsatisfying performance in this case, I don't think it's wise to clear and recreate the entire batch in each frame for no reason.
Not sure what you're referring to here?
You're calling setupSpriteBatch from love.update in every frame, in which you're clearing the batch and re-add the same sprites again. Even if the sprites changed, you should be using SpriteBatch:set to update the existing data instead of rebuilding the whole thing over.

I also recommend losing the shitty and snappy attitude, or people might just stop giving you advice if you keep pissing them off. Just an observation.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Sorry, Off-topic
grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 pm I also recommend losing the shitty and snappy attitude, or people might just stop giving you advice if you keep pissing them off. Just an observation.
(Something I really need to agree with!)
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 pm
hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am
grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 am While not necessarily the cause of unsatisfying performance in this case, I don't think it's wise to clear and recreate the entire batch in each frame for no reason.
Not sure what you're referring to here?
You're calling setupSpriteBatch from love.update in every frame, in which you're clearing the batch and re-add the same sprites again. Even if the sprites changed, you should be using SpriteBatch:set to update the existing data instead of rebuilding the whole thing over.

I also recommend losing the shitty and snappy attitude, or people might just stop giving you advice if you keep pissing them off. Just an observation.
I honestly didn't know what you were referring to. It seems you're talking about the tutorial I found on how to use spritebatch? That's not my code. That was the only thing I found about how to use spritebatch. Not sure why you think that was a bad attitude, I was just trying to clarify.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

MadByte wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:39 pm Sorry, Off-topic
grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 pm I also recommend losing the shitty and snappy attitude, or people might just stop giving you advice if you keep pissing them off. Just an observation.
(Something I really need to agree with!)
?? Care to clarify what this is all about?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I think they're referring to this stuff:
hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:06 pm
pgimeno wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:22 pm
hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:03 am I read on the wiki page that quads can slow things down but I wasn't prepared for how much.
That's not true. The wiki says that creating quads can be slow.
Just one more and you'll break the record.
I wonder if acting like an asshole when others are trying to help you is customary for you, or is it just a reflex you don't even register doing?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

zorg wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:58 pm I think they're referring to this stuff:
hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:06 pm
pgimeno wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:22 pm
That's not true. The wiki says that creating quads can be slow.
Just one more and you'll break the record.
I wonder if acting like an asshole when others are trying to help you is customary for you, or is it just a reflex you don't even register doing?
That was directed purely at pgimeno since he seems to make sarcastic, pedantic and useless comments in any threads I post. Check his posts in my previous threads. Did you think what he said was useful at all? Was it trying to be nice? How did that help with anything? The fact that you knew I meant that by '..breaking a record..' suggests you must know what I mean..otherwise it's not derogatory whatsoever...?

I've really no idea why he does that.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I didn't really know what exactly you meant by that, but i assumed it was a diss, considering you valued one of my previous replies beneath you not getting one at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, i'm assuming he's not a mindreader, and even though he might not have answered any exact question that may have been asked, it is still a legitimate point that he made; even if he just quoted a part from the wiki. Then again, i'm not a mindreader either, so i can't say whether i'm right or not about what they were referring to.

In any case, i never needed to work with iPhones (neither real devices or simulators), and on desktops, i haven't seen performance degradations due to Quads or SpriteBatches, the latter sounding weirder than not.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm I honestly didn't know what you were referring to. It seems you're talking about the tutorial I found on how to use spritebatch?
Sorry, I misread. I assumed the gist you linked to was yours.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

zorg wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm I didn't really know what exactly you meant by that, but i assumed it was a diss, considering you valued one of my previous replies beneath you not getting one at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're normally quite helpful it's true, but that time it seemed like a sarcastic reply, but then I noticed your signature says you like sarcasm. I guess I'm just not used to this community, it's very different to others I've used. I even received private messages here stating disbelief in the responses I got to my questions. That nobody can give a straight, simple or clear answer to a question for newbies. Almost all of my questions were answered by private message in fact. I'm always thankful for anyone that does genuinely help.
zorg wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm That said, i'm assuming he's not a mindreader, and even though he might not have answered any exact question that may have been asked, it is still a legitimate point that he made; even if he just quoted a part from the wiki. Then again, i'm not a mindreader either, so i can't say whether i'm right or not about what they were referring to.
Not sure what you mean, all he did was pedantically correct what I'd said in my original post. Not sure what in the world that was for. Like I said, if you check my previous threads, all his posts have been like that. Maybe it's normal to act like that here, I don't know. I don't have any problem with anyone else.
zorg wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm In any case, i never needed to work with iPhones (neither real devices or simulators), and on desktops, i haven't seen performance degradations due to Quads or SpriteBatches, the latter sounding weirder than not.
Yes I think Love2d is mainly for desktop. But I'm starting to solve the problem. Sprite batching was a step in the right direction, it's just a pity there is so little documentation/tutorials about it. But I'll get there in the end.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm
hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm I honestly didn't know what you were referring to. It seems you're talking about the tutorial I found on how to use spritebatch?
Sorry, I misread. I assumed the gist you linked to was yours.
Oh right, yeah looking at what I wrote again it wasn't clear it wasn't mine. I found another guide in the love2d wiki and they seem to have it there as well though?

https://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Effici ... _Scrolling