Quads slow things down so much..

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
grump
Party member

Re: Quads slow things down so much..

Post by grump »

hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pmI found another guide in the love2d wiki and they seem to have it there as well though?
It's probably not critical in most cases and rebuilding from scratch is just easier/shorter code to write. Reusing existing resources is usually the better way to do things though, especially if you want to achieve max performance.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:15 pm
hasen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pmI found another guide in the love2d wiki and they seem to have it there as well though?
It's probably not critical in most cases and rebuilding from scratch is just easier/shorter code to write. Reusing existing resources is usually the better way to do things though, especially if you want to achieve max performance.
Ok I see, thanks. Yeah, leaving it out didn't seem to cause any problems in my code.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

grump wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 pmI also recommend losing the shitty and snappy attitude, or people might just stop giving you advice if you keep pissing them off. Just an observation.
In fact I already did. In this case I noticed something that may mislead others (the claim that "the wiki says that quads can be slow" when it doesn't say any such thing) so I thought it was opportune to put the record straight for the benefit of readers.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

If you have poor performance on real device while doing so little work, I suspect the way you do it could be extremely inefficient - I could draw hundreds of sprites for no FPS drop without using a batch, if I do it from a barebones loop.