11.0 - Some errors causes window to immediately close

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ExPorygon
Prole

11.0 - Some errors causes window to immediately close

Post by ExPorygon »

Hi, all. I've been having this strange problem ever since I upgraded to version 11.0. Occasionally, an error would cause the window to immediately close instead of displaying the error message and traceback. If the console is running, it will briefly display the error message before closing as well. Screen recording has allowed me to catch the error on the console before it closes and they've so far been seemingly unremarkable errors.

Note that not all errors are handled incorrectly. Most of them seem to display properly without closing the window.

I tried uninstalling 11.0 and reinstalled 0.10.2 and the problem went away. A particular error that was not showing up with 11.0 did show up with 0.10.2 installed. The latest error displaying this behavior is attached in a screenshot (I took this screen when I reinstalled 0.10.2).

I've checked everywhere here for similar reports and I haven't seen any that seem similar to what I'm experiencing. I'm really scratching my head on this and recording my screen just to see certain error messages is really irritating. I hope you guys can help. I'll provide a Love file if it will help, but it will take a little bit to get ready.
Attachments
70435f9582.png
70435f9582.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: 11.0 - Some errors causes window to immediately close

Post by Nixola »

I know it's annoying, but running the game using lovec.exe from a terminal should allow you to see the errors, at least as a temporary workaround before the issue is fixed.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

It's a gamestate lib issue, not a löve one.

We discussed this on discord in-depth previously; vrld's hump.gamestates library hooks up love.errhand, which got renamed in 0.11 to love.errorhandler, which causes these issues; renaming that one line in the lib will fix the random exists (which aren't really crashes, it's just the code not going into the error handling loop, and the game exits instead)

I submitted an issue to him: https://github.com/vrld/hump/issues/95
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

That's not the actual issue. Love falls back to love.errhand when it can't find love.errorhandler. I'm guessing if you replace love.errorhandler it ends up falling back to the default error handler. I think the issues is that, like love.run, love.errorhandler was changed to return a looping function. I'm surprised it ends up closing instantly though.
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

The only time I've personally seen love close in that way is if you manage to hit the 1GB memory limit that luaJIT has (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/351 ... -platforms)

Hit that limit or very close above it and pop everything shuts down instantly. Might not be related but might be.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

drunken_munki wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:28 am The only time I've personally seen love close in that way is if you manage to hit the 1GB memory limit that luaJIT has (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/351 ... -platforms)

Hit that limit or very close above it and pop everything shuts down instantly. Might not be related but might be.
Tests died with basically nothing loaded, so this isn't related.

However, what bartbes said might be, although renaming that one string did help, so at least it could be a temporary fix.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

The problem is that you're not allowed to crash while you crash, sorry bout dat dawg. If you just crash, then it invokes error handler. If that also crashes, then that's a hard crash.
ExPorygon
Prole

Post by ExPorygon »

Ah I see, so it was Hump's gamestate module that seems to be causing the problems. It doesn't seem like exactly why is well understood, but hopefully vrld can work on a fix eventually.
Nixola wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 am I know it's annoying, but running the game using lovec.exe from a terminal should allow you to see the errors, at least as a temporary workaround before the issue is fixed.
Thanks for the suggestion, this works perfectly. I could just remove the gamestate library for now but I think I'll do this as it isn't too much of a hassle.

Thanks to all of you for the responses!