Learning Love2D from a Newbie's Perspective

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
EldonTheNoble
Prole

Learning Love2D from a Newbie's Perspective

Post by EldonTheNoble »

Hey guys, so I found engine from a game I enjoy playing called, Game Dev Studio, which is a very fun tycoon game on steam made with Love2D. Love2D seems to be a great resource for making video games. I have a some ideas for a couple of games, including a University Tycoon game and a top down medieval city builder, and so I wanted to reach out to the community to know where and how to begin. I am a complete newbie and have no prior experience in coding or design, although I work as a graphic designer at a print shop (glorified typesetter). So instead of trying to learn blindly I wanted to reach out to everyone to get some of the best resources for learning and maybe elements like scripts/assets. Anything that would be helpful would be much appreciated!

Thank You!
raidho36
Party member

Re: Learning Love2D from a Newbie's Perspective

Post by raidho36 »

A common thread is suggesting making the following games, one after another:

Pong
Invaders
Snake
Tetris
Mario

Try making something simple and ask more specific questions from there. Do however first try searching online.

For your first hint: gamestate update code goes into love.update function, screen rendering code goes into love.draw function. See the manual for more functionality.
ivan
Party member

Re: Learning Love2D from a Newbie's Perspective

Post by ivan »

Asteroids and Bejeweled are also good for beginners.
Start with something simple to clone and put your own spin on it.
Making a tycoon game or a city builder requires a lot of experience.
Strategy games are even harder and take years of make.