I don't want to give up on game development again so can someone help me please?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Paz
Prole

I don't want to give up on game development again so can someone help me please?

Post by Paz »

Just really got into it today after years of thinking about it. But ya I installed LOVE. Then after that I installed ZeroBrane. LOVE is in my C:\ProgramFiles directory and ZeroBrane is in C:\Users\openw\Downloads\Programs\ZeroBrane cause I wanted it separate. When I try to actually execute a program using LOVE as the interpreter there are like a dozen things going wrong for some reason. I made sure the project directory was set to C:\Users\openw\Downloads\Programs\ZeroBrane and the interpreter set to LOVE.

Initially LOVE simply wasn't being recognized as I had it along with ZeroBrane in the download folder. So I moved it to programfiles and it was autodetected. But after this I try to actually make a .lua file and execute it and it does nothing. The only time it does absolutely anything is if the exact name for the file is main.lua for some reason. Also when I try to launch a program made in ZeroBrane that isn't named main.lua it automatically launches the main.lua program even if it isn't being displayed in the editing screen. This is immensely frustrating truly.

Whenever I try to launch absolutely anything it tells me it cannot find the "main.lua" file in my project directory and asks me to change it to the direct file path. This happens even if I'm not trying to execute a file called "main.lua".
zorg
Party member

Re: I don't want to give up on game development again so can someone help me please?

Post by zorg »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Just like how in C and other languages, programs start with a function called main, löve requires you to have a main.lua;
you can have separate project folders though, each with their own main.lua file.

I don't really use ZeroBrane though, so i can't help you with that specific part.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Paz
Prole

Re: I don't want to give up on game development again so can someone help me please?

Post by Paz »

Ok thank you that was really confusing me. Sorry I got extremely frustrated cause I just started getting into it. I'm doing pretty good atm with it.