Issue with loading levels [solved]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
zorg
Party member

Re: Issue with loading levels (read for more info)

Post by zorg »

Nixola wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 pm
zorg wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:48 am
Schwender.exe wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:11 am
there's got to be some way, it can get the textures fine using love.graphics.newImage(), so it is possible, I just need to figure out how
newImage, like any other constructor reads data; that is indeed possible. the fact that it can access parts of a zip archive (which is what löve files are) is one thing, but to modify it, you'd need to modify the code "from under" itself, and that's not happening. (As long as the code is running, the file is locked, which is an assumption on my end; you can't overwrite/edit the archive.)
It's true you can't write inside a .love file, but not for that reason. Code files aren't locked once they're loaded, you can even delete them and it'll keep running just fine; you'd have to manually reload the file for any change to apply. The reason you can't is because LÖVE simply doesn't support editing zip files, which means it can't change the .love file contents.
I agree but for a different reason myself; it depends on the software keeping a file open or not, usually; then again i might be wrong in how zips are done.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.