Linking a .so file for a Linux build

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Whatthefuck
Party member

Linking a .so file for a Linux build

Post by Whatthefuck »

Hello, like the title says I'm trying to link a .so file (the Steam API) to compile a Linux build of my game, but I can't seem to find how to do that. I tried putting in the parameter for it into the LDFLAGS (-Lsrc -l:libsteam_api.so) field of the Makefile file, but that didn't work. For the record I am using the 0.10.2 version source files.

Thanks in advance.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Linking a .so file for a Linux build

Post by pgimeno »

.so files are dynamic libraries (like .dylib in Mac and .dll in Windows), they're supposed to be linked at run time. If LÖVE does not depend on any of the functions that a .so file exports, I don't think it will be linked, but even if it is, that only means that the library will be required at run time and the program will refuse to work if it's not present.

If you're using love-steam by adnzzzzZ (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85596), then to my knowledge you don't have to mess with the LÖVE executable, because it's dynamically linked directly from Lua, by using require().