Debian "jack server is not running or cannot be started" error

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Okaghana
Prole

Debian "jack server is not running or cannot be started" error

Post by Okaghana »

Hi there.

I tried to install Löve2d on my Debian VM. I had problems compiling it and so I just installed it via the

Code: Select all

apt-get install love
command. But now when I try to run a file i get this weird error-message in the console:

~/Desktop$ love lovegame
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
After this the game starts normally in a window, but as far as I can tell the console doesn't work anymore, which is really annoying for debugging. This happends to all main.lua files I try to execute (and yes, I'm selecting the folder with the main.lua and not the file itself). I even tried to just execute a simple "Hello World" file, but I still got the error messages (like I said, the window works flawlessly).

I looked it up online, but found nothing helpful. On Hint was to kill the pulseAudio and restart jack_control, but my OS dint know the

jack_control start
command.

I also tried to reinstall Pulseaudio, remove Pulseaudio entirely, reinstall jack (with and without jack-tools), removing jack (still the same error) and removing and reinstalling Löve2d. So far no success.

System: Linux debian 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux on Virtualbox
löve Version: 0.9.1-4 amd64

Thanks in advance
Okaghana
grump
Party member

Re: Debian "jack server is not running or cannot be started" error

Post by grump »

AFAIK, the jack message is merely a notification, not an error. LÖVE games run just fine despite Jack not being available.
Okaghana wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 pmthe console doesn't work anymore
What do you expect the console to do? Once a task has been started, it will wait for the task to finish. There is no LÖVE debug console that you could use.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

grump wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 pm AFAIK, the jack message is merely a notification, not an error. LÖVE games run just fine despite Jack not being available.
Okaghana wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 pmthe console doesn't work anymore
What do you expect the console to do? Once a task has been started, it will wait for the task to finish. There is no LÖVE debug console that you could use.
Unless you write one ;) and if you do, do that in a separate thread, unless you want to freeze your application frequently.

But yeah, some third party stuff may dump notifications into the console, and löve can't really suppress them, sadly; usually they're harmless as grump said.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Try editing /etc/openal/alsoft.conf. Look for the drivers=... line and change it to drivers = pulse

Also, keep in mind the prepackaged version is LÖVE 0.9.1, which is quite dated.

Compiling shouldn't be difficult at all. If it stops, it's typically because of a missing xxxxx-dev package.