What image files are supported on LÖVE?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Noob_Maker
Prole

What image files are supported on LÖVE?

Post by Noob_Maker »

<t>I want to do some animations with the sprites in the game and I tested .gif files and they aren't supported. <br/>
Can someone give me a list of supported image files and whether I need a lua library to do animations?<br/>
Thank you.<br/>
<br/>
This is because I want to do animations and .gif's apperantly aren't supported in LOVE</t>
pgimeno
Party member

Re: What image files are supported on LÖVE?

Post by pgimeno »

For saving, it only supports PNG (per the ImageFormat parameter of ImageData:encode). For loading, I know it supports PNG and JPG, not sure if anything else. EDIT: According to the source, it appears to support PNG (through lodepng), JPEG/BMP/TGA/HDR (through stb), EXR (through tinyexr), DDS (through ddsparse), PVR/KTX/PKM/ASTC (not sure how, maybe natively).

If you want GIF loading support, check my sig. For saving GIFs, there's GifCat but it requires a binary lib, and I'm not aware of any other gif saving lib.
MissDanish
Citizen

Re: What image files are supported on LÖVE?

Post by MissDanish »

Noob_Maker wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:36 pm <t>I want to do some animations with the sprites in the game and I tested .gif files and they aren't supported. <br/>
Can someone give me a list of supported image files and whether I need a lua library to do animations?<br/>
Thank you.<br/>
<br/>
This is because I want to do animations and .gif's apperantly aren't supported in LOVE</t>
GIFs really aren't good for animations, just use a spritesheet and make you own animation library with quads (or use a pre-made library)